Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just One Star Comfort a Soldier by Moda >

Just One Star Comfort a Soldier by Moda

Just One Star Comfort a Soldier by Moda

Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
spartan quilter you are a quilter after my own heart!! One never knows when that little HST is going to be the perfect thing you need to fill a little spot.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Well I just love this block I've sewn four up this evening and I plan on sending at least a dozen.
Thank you so muck for the link glad I could be part of it. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hugs to all,

Pam Bflo, NY
Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM

I mailed off two today - both blue since I don't have any red fabric right now.

What is a pigma pen?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ktmo815

What is a pigma pen?
It's a special ink pen used for writing on fabric. You can usually get them at your local quilt shop or you can find them on-line.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM

thank you

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Originally Posted by ktmo815

What is a pigma pen?
It's a special ink pen used for writing on fabric. You can usually get them at your local quilt shop or you can find them on-line.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Some people leave the background layer on behind the star point as they show in the picture. Some people (most everyone I know ) cut both of the bottom layers off and then just have one layer of star point. I haven't made mine yet, but will probably do it he way I always do and cut off both.
I think it's up to you.

Originally Posted by bjdemir
Just a quick question for clarification. On the patter when making the flying geese patch it shows only trimming the blue corner - is this correct? It would dmake a double layer there, so not sure if this is what is meant. Anyone have any ideas? Or how is everyone doing it? Want to get it right. Thanks.
THANK-YOU so much for clearing this up...as I haven't done one of these before so I was confused on whether to cut both layers off or not. I am going to try to do this for our soldiers. I have read through the responses that this does not take long to make so I hope it is relatively easy to do for a BEGINNER. I am sure they will be making more than 100 quilts which will be wonderful.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Beginner 10, you should be able to make this star block. If you run into any questions I'm sure the board members can help you, or you can PM me and I'll try to help. When I made my blocks I actually did leave the background layer on as the pattern says to do. It looks very nice. I just wouldn't want to have to quilt through it. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the encouragement....I will be going to my LQS for the red fabric. Since I am going there I will also be taking an extra copy of this so they can pass it on.
When I start making my star, if (or should I say when) I have questions I know where to come for answers :-D
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM

My granddaughter (age 14)is here for 3 days & we're sewing up a storm. She wanted to do some stars too (only star she's ever made was an Ohio star last year), so we each made one of each. She did really well on her points, better than a couple of Grandma's...She's working on a wallhanging today & should finish quilting it tomorrow. I will post it in the picture area after she's totally done. We love sewing together & it was really fun making them together.

Kaelyn with her stars; she picked out a cream fabric with sparklies on it, the red is solid & the blue is sparklie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173109[/ATTACH]

both of our stars; I joined in with the sparklie blue
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173112[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173103.jpe   attachment-173106.jpe  
Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by VickiM
My granddaughter (age 14)is here for 3 days & we're sewing up a storm. She wanted to do some stars too (only star she's ever made was an Ohio star last year), so we each made one of each. She did really well on her points, better than a couple of Grandma's...She's working on a wallhanging today & should finish quilting it tomorrow. I will post it in the picture area after she's totally done. We love sewing together & it was really fun making them together.
That's so neat that your granddaughter sews with you. I'm sure those are very special and treasured moments. I'm hoping that mine gets older that she will take an interest in quilting. Time will tell...she's only 2, soon to be 3. My how quickly they grow up!!! I'll be anxious to see her wallhanging.