Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt? >

Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt?

Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Banned

I personaly prefer SID pm the Log Cabins. However, think about where you want the focal point to be. Is it the logs and the arrangement of light and dark or a quilting pattern. You could select a wide border design to quilt down the light and dark sections. However, I would use a non constrasting thread to just add texture and not new design. This would depend on your skill of doing free motion quilting. However, there are some border designs that could be stitched with the walking foot.
My first consideration would be, as stated, a quilting that would not detract from the log cabine design.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 AM

I have done several log cabins and have done with SID and one with Baptist fans. They all look great in my opinion!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by dgbrandt
I have done several log cabins and have done with SID and one with Baptist fans. They all look great in my opinion!
I agree....you are highlighting your quilt....the logs of the log cabin. Another good way is to "big stitch" right down the center of the logs using a perle cotton...very attractive.:)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Wowser!! So pretty..hopefully soon I will be inspired
to do a log cabin.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 AM

This is beautiful!!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 AM

I like the 'Baptist Fan' quilting on my log cabins. Lots of straight line and then curves.

p.s. Is even your door mat a quilt design? Love it.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 AM

Hi, I just quilted a log cabin with your design for a client, I used an allover pattern called Feathered Meandering, it is from LEQ. The client and the ladies in our sewing group loved the design, it complimented the squares and angles of the log cabin without overpowering the quilt. (My philosophy is the work goes into the quilt top, the quilting holds it together and highlights the top).
Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 AM

I did an all over meandering on my Barn Raising Log Cabin quilts. Just my opinion but I think that feathering in the log areas of Log Cabins takes away from the movement or change in the pattern. Not sure if that makes sense. But basically when you get done quilting it you can't see the change of the pattern as well. Again just my opinion. I'll post a pick of one that I finished with a all over meandering. Pay no attention to the bottom blocks. They got put in upside down and I didn't notice till after quilting it. Let's just say I'm still ticked off at myself.

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...n/100_2963.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I recommend you consider Superior Threads "So Fine!" in a white or cream, whatever matches your background. It's 50 weight, a finer thread, so it will sink in a little more and not be as visible. But it's strong and works beautifully in my machine. I've used it on several quilts recently and love it.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...e/description/
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 AM

I like to hand quilt through the cent of each log. You avoid the seams and it has a nice outcome.