Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My family thinks that just because I quilt that I'm suppose collect buttons. So every garage sale, flea market or even from their old shirts and sweater that they find/get they feel the need to give to me? I have spaghetti jars filled with buttons that I have no idea what to do with.. If I have space to store them, Id rather use that space for fabric.. So what gives?

(btw- I will never sew a button back on a shirt.. goes in the laundry to never be seen again)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM

I LOVE buttons and don't know why. If I see buttons I have to buy them. I have jars and hate to use them up. All I knowis that I love them.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

While I like the wreath idea that JustWannaQ has given ... if you have no interest in those buttons, don't do that or heaven forbid, they will gift you with more!

Was there a time when you were looking for buttons as embellishment for a quilt? Maybe that started it?

To stop the nonsense ... my suggestion isn't so lovingly-kind as JWQs ... Put all the buttons into a bowl. Stir them up. Fill up jars with them. And give a jar to each of those who have given to you.

Think they may get the hint? :)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM

awww lucky you...wish my fam would do that for me...i love buttons...i`ve made so many things with them...flowers...cards....put them on wall quilts....etc
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
My family thinks that just because I quilt that I'm suppose collect buttons. So every garage sale, flea market or even from their old shirts and sweater that they find/get they feel the need to give to me? I have spaghetti jars filled with buttons that I have no idea what to do with.. If I have space to store them, Id rather use that space for fabric.. So what gives?

(btw- I will never sew a button back on a shirt.. goes in the laundry to never be seen again)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM

If I have a shirt that needs a button, it goes to the
B of the C! (back of the closet) LOL
Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Send friends and family a note or have a discussion over coffee, etc. asking for no more buttons. Then send them to all the people here who love buttons (I am not one of those either - smile). Sometimes if people even think you are wanting to collect something they overload your hobby and it becomes a burden. Unburden yourself!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
ooooooh I like that idea.. my lil one can make them.. Easy peasy handmade gift!!! LOVE IT!!!

but then again would that be sending the wrong message?? Id hate for them to give me MORE buttons.. lol..
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Another button lover here! I have a collection - used to use them on decorated denim vests, shirts. Now I use them on Crazy Quilts. I even glued some to a mirror - had an old oval mirrior that got a small crack in it so I sorted out a bunch of white buttons - all sizes, shapes, and glued them on in a pleasing arrangement to over the crack, painted the small metal rim gold. Looks pretty good - kinda shabby chic looking but I still like it!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM

[quote=huntannette]awww lucky you...wish my fam would do that for me...i love buttons...i`ve made so many things with them...flowers...cards....put them on wall
-------------------
One of my daughters loves buttons. No one can understand why. When she visits, she just quivvers when I unload==sorry, when I gift her with some more of my buttons I've put away, hoping never to see again. I'll admit I did have some strange ones from sewing classes with out of town instructors. Some made from bone, some bone over 3 inches wide, some came from other towns, one set came from the sexual organs of a whale!!! Others were wood, plastic and a few from my Mom were Bakelite, some shaped like flowers or human faces, and some were who knows what.
DD wanted them all, no one else would even look at them. Whatever makes her happy.