Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Seems it takes much longer to decide what kind of quilt to make than to actually make one!! lol! >

Seems it takes much longer to decide what kind of quilt to make than to actually make one!! lol!

Seems it takes much longer to decide what kind of quilt to make than to actually make one!! lol!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM

My husband and I are entertaining a friend of ours from Uganda Africa. We have been working with him since 2005 providing sponsorships for children who are orphaned because of losing their parents to AIDS &/or due to severe poverty. The sponsorships provide the necessary money needed to give these children an opportunity to go to school. Education is the only means they have of having a better future for themselves and subsequent generations. The beauty of our work is that we get to know the child we sponsor. We were speaking with our friend the other night and he was telling us how well our "adopted" daughter, Mary, is doing. She is hoping to be accepted to a university this summer and start in the fall. This is an incredible undertaking for this young woman.

It suddenly dawned on me that the fabric I bought a while back is intended for Mary! I was drawn to buy it because of the colors (it was on sale of course...lol!) but wasn't sure who the intended recipient was. It was clear at once...it's to be for Mary.

Now...I've been looking at patterns for days and cannot for the life of me decide what pattern to choose! I want to make a twin size quilt for her to take to school in the fall. I will have to make it as light weight as possible as it does not get cold there at all but I still think she would like it. And it's the only tangible way I know (besides sponsoring her and sending letters) to let her know how much we care for her and are so proud of her accomplishments.

Any ideas?? Please...if anyone has an idea or a picture of what might work that would certainly help. I'm attaching the fabrics...the yellow faded a bit in the wash :-( so I'm not sure if it's going to be okay to use or not. But all the others turned out okay. The white in the picture is actually a white on white...which I have LOTS of and will probably be using for the backing.

Thanks so much for your help! Karen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183726.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM

maybe a trip around the world pattern?

As far as light weight - you could make it in the style of old-fashioned "summer quilts" - just do the top and the backing without batting.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
maybe a trip around the world pattern?

As far as light weight - you could make it in the style of old-fashioned "summer quilts" - just do the top and the backing without batting.
I hadn't thought of doing this without a batting...do I quilt it the same (just without the batting?) or is there a special technique for this? I think that's a great idea. And I also like the idea of a trip around the world. Hadn't thought of that one either. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Pretty fabrics and I still like the yellow even though you said it faded...
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

They look like thirties prints....how about baskets of flowers?
And why not tea-dye the w-o-w fabric before using it so the contrast of the print shows up better.

Jan in VA
Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM

I am new to quilting, but I googled a trip around the world quilt pattern and think it would be ok. The yellow does not looked faded. It looks like a lite color.

Sewfine
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

What a nice problem to have
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

What a nice problem to have
Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
They look like thirties prints....how about baskets of flowers?
And why not tea-dye the w-o-w fabric before using it so the contrast of the print shows up better.

Jan in VA
I've never tea dyed anything, is that difficult? And can you control how dark something gets? I like the idea of the basket of flowers too! Decisions, decisions...lol!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM

What about cathedral window.