Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
varigated vortex quilt pattern >

varigated vortex quilt pattern

varigated vortex quilt pattern

Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM

I recently purchased this pattern and templates. The instructions give no direction on how to sew the last corner piece of the block, no marking on the template. I and several other quilters have tried numerous times to sew the 4th piece (corner) without success. Does anyone here have any experience with this pattern. I have written to the author but no response as of yet. Any help appreciated.

varigated vortex.jpg
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184113[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184107.jpe  
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM
MTS
Banned

If you place the acrylic corner piece over the larger curved piece (or whichever one would be shape #3) with the seam allowances over lapping, does it not fit?

The templates looke like would fit - starting with the little curved drunkard's path piece, which fit's into #2, which fits into the larger #3 piece.

It seems that the corner piece should only go in one direction, perhaps you have it backwards.

If you've attached the other 3 pieces, you clearly can deal with the curved seams, so that's not it.

Can you post a picture of your block?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

It looks to me like this: The piece in the upper left corner is the upper left corner of the block. The large piece on the bottom is the lower left corner. The piece on the top is the bottom right corner of the block. And the last small piece is the upper right corner.

Have you tried it that way?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 AM

I will attached my quilt block this weekend. My LAQ friend has my templates and fabric at the moment she has been trying to figure it out, with no luck. More pictures might help.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
MTS
Banned

Ah, so you haven't actually sewn any yet?

I remember seeing this pattern all over the place a few years ago, so I'm sure the templates are okay.

So, the instructions were really that lousy? I hate that. You spent a pretty penny on them, I'm sure.

In a continuing effort to avoid doing my taxes, I printed out an enlarged picture of the templates, cut them out and and tried to put them together.

I think I found the problem.

I don't know how far you got in cutting, but the templates as shown don't/won't work. And now I totally understand why you were confused.

If you lay the templates out as the picture indictates, you would HAVE to flip #1 and #3 BEFORE cutting.

Now you can sew #1 to #2, then that duo to #3, and then finally #4 will fit.

Or, for a swirl in another direction, flip #2 and #4, and then sew as described above.

But you have to keep the pieces in each set separate, as they are NOT interchangeable.

And if you're using batiks (where you can't tell right side from wrong side), please be extra careful because that could be hair pulling frustrating.

(I did that on a Japanese puzzle quilt once and wanted to SCREAM. :roll: )

If you look at the pattern quilt picture (or others online) and focus in on a BLOCK, you can see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, when you get the templates back, use some scrap fabric and see if what I'm trying to describe works for you.

If not, come back with pictures and we'll try for Plan B.
;-)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM

I have the first three pieces together no problem, but not sure where to attach the corner piece, no mater where i attach it it just doesn't fit correctly. Will send pics on saturday, really appreciate your help.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 PM

I finally figured this out! Hurray!! My progress so far. Dark and gloomy day, fabrics look darker then they are.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196926.jpe  
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM
MTS
Banned

I remember this !!

I'm glad you finally got it figured out. Your blocks look fabulous!
Very dramatic.

Did you find it easy to sew together?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM

the first three weren't difficult to sew It was the last piece that was giving me problems. Just slow sewing curves.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Looks fantastic, well done