Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with cutting repeats >

Help with cutting repeats

Help with cutting repeats

Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM

I need to know if I am cutting the fabric correctly for the repeats. The first pic is of the whole piece of fabric and the second is the first one I cut. Just want to make sure before I cut 4 yards. It looks like the repeats are 13". What size blocks should I use?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185821.jpe   attachment-185822.jpe  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by squilter
I need to know if I am cutting the fabric correctly for the repeats. The first pic is of the whole piece of fabric and the second is the first one I cut. Just want to make sure before I cut 4 yards. It looks like the repeats are 13". What size blocks should I use?

*giggles* ... you couldn't wait!! :)

It looks right ... what you want is to make sure that the exact same point you start/end with is the same.

I would have squared up the start with the edge of that pear, as it's a good marker, and then gone straight thru to the next pear.

Now, lay that first piece ontop of the fabric length, matching it across the width of the fabric. Then with your ruler, carefully cut on the exact same line.

Then set aside piece #2, and do the same for #3, and the rest.

Glad you aren't waiting!
You'll soon discover how fast it works up ... and then you're hooked!! :)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Getting hooked is what I am afraid of....lol
Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 PM

I was reading Maxine Rosenthal's OBW book and she said on the very first cut, you don't havt to be precise, as you will do that a little later.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

I was reading Maxine Rosenthal's OBW book and she said on the very first cut, you don't havt to be precise, as you will do that a little later.
I just did the course on Friday with her book. The teacher showed us this way as a way to minimize fabric wastage. You can do it the other way too.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Very nice fabric. I can't wait to do a OBW myself.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

Watching with interest...I have the book too!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM

If you want to add cubes I would cut your stips to 3 3/4" as trying to work out your cubes with different measurements is a real PITA "ask me how I know LOL" which will give you 3 strips for each repeat.
If you are not going to do cubes then you could get 4 strips at 3 1/4" or 3 at around 4 1/4" the choice is yours.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE

*giggles* ... you couldn't wait!! :)

It looks right ... what you want is to make sure that the exact same point you start/end with is the same.

I would have squared up the start with the edge of that pear, as it's a good marker, and then gone straight thru to the next pear.

Now, lay that first piece ontop of the fabric length, matching it across the width of the fabric. Then with your ruler, carefully cut on the exact same line.

Then set aside piece #2, and do the same for #3, and the rest.

Glad you aren't waiting!
You'll soon discover how fast it works up ... and then you're hooked!! :)
This is a Bethany Reynolds tip that she calls an ARF - automatic repeat finder. I do it sometimes but usually I just eyeball it. On the other hand, I don't stress over wasting a tiny sliver of fabric. Regarding your strips and the size, I think your print looks quite small, I'd measure the largest motif, probably the pear, and cut the strips a shade narrower but try and stay at a division of 12" minus a 1/4" wiggle room to maximise the number of strips you can get from your fabric. As Woody says though, if you are planning cubes, stick with 3 3/4" unless you're a maths genius! :-D
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I usually just cut 6 repeats to start with rather than cutting all the yardage. Your fabric should make a beautiful OBW - I'm anxiously waiting to see how it comes out!