Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Replace original foot pedal for FW with newer model? >

Replace original foot pedal for FW with newer model?

Replace original foot pedal for FW with newer model?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 AM

My foot pedal needs rewiring and I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole thing with the type that is more like what today's quilter is used to. Those of you who use your FW often, what do you think? Thanks.

Oh, forgot to ask which company you prefer for ordering parts for FW. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 AM

You can but that isn't an original part and if you want to keep your featherweight authentic you shouldn't. On the other hand, it's your machine and if you want this style of foot pedal, go for it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 AM

I replaced mine and just put the old one in the case that came with the machine which I don't use. It's real easy to switch them out.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned

I have a few of the FW foot pedals here if you need one just PM me. But the only thing about using a newer foot pedal is that they are electronic and will not work with the older machines. So you have to find one that is compatible.

If it just needs rewiring then the pedal is good then? if so it doesnt take a few minutes to rewire it and your good as gold!

Billy
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM

sewclassic.com has instructions for rewiring the foot pedal. Personally, I'm not concerned about authenicity so I'm glad my seller replaced the pedal on my 301.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 AM

I replaced mine with a new foot peddle because the newer ones have more room for my foot. I got my from www.sewingpartsonline. I kept the old one as a backup.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM

i replaced mine also and just hold on to my old one
Old 04-22-2011, 04:15 PM

I was going to replace my FW foot controller but the more that I read about the replacement controllers not working as well as the button controllers, the more I decided to see if I could fix what was wrong with the one that I had. When I plugged in the cord the light would work but the motor didn't do anything.

A little research (I love the internet) and I was able to solve the problem and get it working. Just so you know, I have never, ever even so much as looked at the inside of a foot controller....never mind fix one!!! :shock:

Come to find out....it wasn't even a problem with the foot controller it was the fact that I took the carbon brush out of the motor and had put it back in the wrong way. I just turned it the other way and VIOLA!!!! But while I had the controller apart I adjusted it for speed and put a little bit of lubricant on the hinge that was sticking when I stepped on the controller.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

So-sew, I just got my 1st FW in January. If I needed replacement parts for it I would do my best to get original parts for her. IMHO the glory of a FW is the older parts.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
pal

My Featherweight is my primary sewing machine. When the foot pedal went, I bought a new one on line. It works perfectly.