Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 AM

I have pondered the following questions for almost a year now, and I still am not sure if I must or if I should leave it alone ...

My future DIL is the topic of discussion here ..

How do I get this young lady to take some interest in quilting / sewing /needlework???
She is truly a lovely young girl, but she has not learned to use her time wisely, or to make anything with her hands ...
She thinks a sewing machine is just for mending or fixing the odd seam ... :shock:

I have given her my old sewing machine and some fabric with which she made a lunch bag and an apron, so I think the interest might grow if I can just get the right project ....

So....here are my questions:

If I make up a kit with fabric and a pattern --- which patterns are interesting?

Shall I make it a "block of the month"-thing and give her a kit each month? Like a sampler?

Or must I keep to small projects that finishes fast so she will stay interested?

I would really like it if she takes an interest in quilting ... then I will have someone to leave all my sewing toys to!! hehehehe :) :lol: :wink:

But at the same time ...I don't want her to feel I am pushing her into something she doesn't want to do ...

I have read on QB how some of you got your GD's involved in quilting .... so I will wait for the wise women of the QB to speak ... please .... :) :)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I think she either wants to or doesnt. Unfortantly neither my DD or my Mom are into sewing, though Mom used to do it. Nor my Sis, have tried with her, shes just too impatient. I wish I couldve got my DD to like it too!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 AM

What about taking her on a shopping trip? That way you can see what she's interested in and start there and nudge her way on up. I do like the idea of a BOM, but she really would need to get the basics first or she may just get frustrated.

Home dec. items are a good way to get her interested. Pillows, pillowcases, easy curtains, hotpads, napkins, placemats, etc. Kind of fun, yet easy and quick with good results.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 AM

I think the harder you push, the more she will push back. Just enjoy what you do and share when you can. If she has any inclination at all, she'll start asking questions and want to join in.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 AM

My DIL has ZERO interest in doing it herself but loves the quilty gifts and loves it when I take her shopping to help pick out "her" fabric.

I'm just happy that she likes what I make!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM

I agree with the others - don't force it. If she wants to learn she'll come to you. There's no reason for anyone to HAVE to learn sewing or quilting anymore, and it's okay for someone to choose not to learn them.

Do you participate in the things she likes to do?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I wish my sister had an interest too but she doesn't. But we have fun with other things and she loves what I make her :D:D
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Quiltings not for everyone. I wouldn't force it on her because then she might get the wrong impression of you and it may cause unwanted tension between both of you and you don't want that. Just let her be and if she ever does show an interest then you can have fun.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:50 AM

My DD tried quilting over about a year's time. I have a little wall hanging she made and I will always treasure it. BUT, she hated it. She does do absolutely beautiful counted cross stitch and fabulous scrapbooking. Give her a chance. It may not be her cup of tea. Be happy that she will be sewing on buttons and mending your DS's clothes!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I agree with the others - don't force it. If she wants to learn she'll come to you. There's no reason for anyone to HAVE to learn sewing or quilting anymore, and it's okay for someone to choose not to learn them.

Do you participate in the things she likes to do?
I agree too. And the idea to take her with and make things that you know she would like for her home, etc., is terrific. Give her time and in the meantime find a friend to quilt with and love your DIL as she is.