Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you sort and store your scraps >

How do you sort and store your scraps

How do you sort and store your scraps

Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 AM

I find containers for the scraps but forget to label the containers so don't really know what the heck I have stashed away.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 AM

Wow! Thanks for the tips. Keep 'em coming.

I'll pick up some boxes and start sorting (I'm a sorter).

I guess I need to include one inch pieces as the miniatures are intriguing me. I don't know if I'm ready for that project yet.

By the way Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon this week. You can use it for online or in shop. Go to www.hobbylobby.com and look for this week's flyer to find the coupon.

Again, I appreciate your time and attention to my question.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by thrums
Now that it's spring the guilt is gone for the tiny strips I usually throw away. Now I put them out for the birds to make nests.

I have been trying to think of a logical way to sort and store my leftover fabric pieces after cutting. I tried a craftbox, but it was too limiting.

With 2 inches being my smallest width, I find that I have various shapes and lengths of scraps. How do you store your scraps?
I am beginning to have arthritits in my hands so don't like working with really small pieces (honestly never have liked working with small pieces) for strips I use them to tie up plants in my garden which is quite lovely! and also use as packing material when you send presents and let the other person figure out what to do with them.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 AM

My mother used to irrigate her house plants before going away for a few days. She'd line them up on a bench and connect one piece of fabric strip from plant to plant (in the soil) and then both loose ends would go into a jar of water. Don't know how well it worked.....

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s
Originally Posted by thrums
Now that it's spring the guilt is gone for the tiny strips I usually throw away. Now I put them out for the birds to make nests.

I have been trying to think of a logical way to sort and store my leftover fabric pieces after cutting. I tried a craftbox, but it was too limiting.

With 2 inches being my smallest width, I find that I have various shapes and lengths of scraps. How do you store your scraps?
I am beginning to have arthritits in my hands so don't like working with really small pieces (honestly never have liked working with small pieces) for strips I use them to tie up plants in my garden which is quite lovely! and also use as packing material when you send presents and let the other person figure out what to do with them.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 AM

a friend started us, with saving all our trimming scraps, and making a big bag, out of unwanted fabric, stuffing trrimmings, and sewing end up , donating to the animal shelter
Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 AM

I use the "dump it in a plastic bin" method of scrap sorting and storage. I consider them sort of an archive. It actually makes it easy to find the scraps I'm looking for since I know which quilt they came from and therefore which layer they'd be in. I don't use the giant bins though because they get too heavy and are too hard to dig thru.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 AM

I use the rectangular plastic gallon ice cream containers and label the color. Free storage and I must eat the ice cream in order to get the free container!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
check this out it may help.
D
That was a great website. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM

I cut them into 5", 4", 3", 2.5" and strips over 12" long. The 5" I separate into general color families, the others just throw into a shoebox of like sizes.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Ok here is how I used to do it as of 1 second ago...

I have 9 totes of scraps sorted by color....

I am now going to take those totes and cut into strips and squares... I should be done... oh about Christmas time
Attached Thumbnails attachment-194630.jpe