charity quilts

Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 AM

i have finally got a good response to my plan to make quilts for charity. a number of people hae donated fabric and we have a new senior center to work in. now i need your help to decide the best place for our quilts.would you be so kind to send in your suggestions for the best place to send our completed quilts. we will be making baby quilts,lap quilts,quilted shawls and what ever comes up. thank you so much. you have always helped,now i need you again. betbet
Old 05-15-2011, 04:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Local police - they're first responders to house fires, domestic violence and other traumatic situation for children. Pulling a blankie or a stuffed animal out of the trunk to comfort a screaming kid is helpful. NO TIED QUILTS for infants and toddlers.

Senior centers - wheelchair lap quilts.

NICU units - you have to check to see what the requirements are. While they might not use on the baby, they do place them over the incubators to brighten up the place.

That's a start.

Best of luck to you and your group. Your work will be greatly appreciated by many.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 AM

quilts for kids and project linus. Quilts of valor for those red,white,blues...
Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Cancer quilts for those who are taking chemo. From my understanding they get really cold during the treatments.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 AM

If you know someone in the area undergoing Chemo treatments this is a good place to give them, also you local hospital in the maternity ward, your welfare office could give them to displaced kids going into foster care. So many places if you ask around. Contact local churches for families in need or fire victums
Old 05-15-2011, 05:51 AM

In Australia we have 'Blankets of Love'. For Parents of stillborn or babies that die soon after birth they are given a small quilt to wrap their babies in. There is a supply kept at the hospital to be given out.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

check locally first- our area hospital accepts quilts for the pediatric floors, the fire department/emt's accept quilts for families who's homes have burned; the women's resource center- for the shelters- and for the people getting out of the shelters-into their own places-starting out with nothing.
you can do alot right in your own back yard before venturing out to the big national organizations.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 AM

thank you for all the suggestions
Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Cancer quilts for those who are taking chemo. From my understanding they get really cold during the treatments.
Also dialysis centers. My mother-in-law is on dialysis and she says she just freezes unless she has a couple of quilts or throws on. I think the blood being circulated cools to lower than body temp, and then makes her feel cold when it gets pumped back in.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I can tell you from experience that chemo treatment rooms are FREEZING. There are sometimes a dozen patients in one room, and many will have no immune systems left. The cold helps keep viruses from spreading.

Not only that, a bright quilt made by a perfect stranger says "someone cares" in a really tangible way. I would have loved to have had one.