Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crayon Dinosaur quilt for Grt.Grndson >

Crayon Dinosaur quilt for Grt.Grndson

Crayon Dinosaur quilt for Grt.Grndson

Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Has any one out there made a crayon quilt? I am about to experiment on making one. My 7 yr,old grt.grndson wants one for Christmas. Not the baby cartoon one mind you but the Jarasic Park kind. :lol: He loves those movies, don't scare him at all. Has a love for them. He says he understands them,what does them mean? :lol: :lol: Any way I found a sight for coloring that can be printed out and I now have to put them on a block. Not enough time to try applique to many. SOOOO I thought the crayon block would be great and I love to color. After working with first graders for 15 years I have a multitude of crayons. The material ones are a little exspensive. I have a box of 8 and you don't get enough of colors. So has anyone out there every done it with regular crayons? And does it last or does it wash out easy. A 12 inch block is what I will be doing. I am thinking about Attic windows for it. Don't know yet. This is going to be fun to do. The color pages are great.
Bill'sBonBon
Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 PM

I've done one. They are so easy to do. I only used Crayola crayons.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 AM

I know some here will give first hand info. But the way I understand it if you heat set them it works great with just crayons. I was going to do one myself using my grandkids pictures, but so far they aren't that interested, so will wait. Hope this helps.

Rita
Old 10-18-2008, 08:01 AM

What is a crayon quilt?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 AM

I have made one and I used bleached muslin ironed on freezer paper and I outlined the pattern with a black pigma which you could also embroidery which I have also done when you finish coloring turn face down on a paper towel and iron with a hot iron the wax comes off the dye goes into the fabric if you want a darker color just color again be sure to iron wash in cold water and do not dry in a hot dryer this is using regular crayola crayons hope it helps
Old 10-18-2008, 11:09 AM

See I knew these ladies could help you, they are all so nice and informative. Heavy on the nice part..

Rita
Old 10-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Simply Quilts video has tutorial on Crayon Quilts...They are adorable and quick and easy...
Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Thank every one of you. I have started coloring. I have colored 8 Dinosaurs and am amazed at how they look. I will have to tell everyone that gets them,the mothers that is, not to use hot water and not to dry them in a hot dryer. I am going to do 3 quilts this way. Dinos, Fairies, and a baby one. All 3 Great Grand Kids. I like the regular crayons best. the ones for material is just kinda dull and not to bright. Not enough different colors. So THANKS AGAIN
Bonnie
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Banned

I saw them done on TV and it looked fun AND easy. They just used reg crayons... I thought of doing one, but chickened out... Let us know how your doing ok?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 AM

We did some blocks as a class exercise a while back. It was stressed to only use Crayola crayons - apparently something to do with the wax content of them.

The FUN part was that we were all told to bring in items with 'rigid texture' like lace or netting or a piece of the bumpy stuff you can use for drawer liners - anything you can imagine. Then, when it was time for coloring, we put the textured item under the spot we wanted to color and colored over it. It made wonderful effects on the muslin. For instance, instead of just coloring a sun hat - we put screen under it to give it a straw-hat look, etc. It was a lot of fun, and easy to do, and you could go on to embellish it with embroidery or marking pens or beads. The possibilities are endless.