Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Erik's Dinosaur Quilt.

Erik is my 7 yr. old GreatGrandSon. He ask me in July if I would make him a quilt with Dinosaurs. Not baby stuff but real ones. :shock: OH MY GOSH!,What a big order. So I thought,and Thought ( Sometimes really,really hard for me) I ponderd this for a couple of Months. :shock: Then I heard about the Crayon quilts. So this is my first one. It is on colored material,didn't want to use white muslim, because He told me he wanted Blue,Green,yellow in his quilt. I complied. After all he was very serious about the whole thing. No,baby,cartoon dinos, But I did put them on the Back. :lol: :lol: :lol: I wish I could see his face when he sees this. He is a military kid. His dad will be deployed in Jan. to Iraq.
    His Grandmother,and Stepgrandfather are holding up the quilt,although you can't see them. :roll:
    Bill'sBonBon
    Attached Images Attached Images

FABULOUS!!!! You really did a GREAT job!

farscapegal
    That is really nice.

Sybil

Izy
    Oh how super is this!! Erik is bound to be over the moon with joy when he sees this!! :D

I have just been reading up about using crayons to draw on the fabric, then you iron it to set the colour, is this how you made yours??

Erik is just going to love this!!!! Even the back --- LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Oh how super is this!! Erik is bound to be over the moon with joy when he sees this!! :D

I have just been reading up about using crayons to draw on the fabric, then you iron it to set the colour, is this how you made yours??
    Yes Izy that is how I made it. It is somewhat time consuming and the colors are Brighter on white muslim. I am now sandwiching another G.Grd.Daughter,4yr.old Keyli's quilt of TinkerBell & fairies and Pixies. I will post when done. I also outlined the dinos with Black thread. It made them standout almost 3d.
    Bill'sBonBon

The quilt looks great!! I'm sure he will love it.!!

That looks like a labor of love and hard work. Erik will love it.

You did a wonderful quilt to meet your great grandsons request. He is going to be over the moon.

Izy wrote:

Bill'sBonBon wrote:
    Yes Izy that is how I made it. It is somewhat time consuming and the colors are Brighter on white muslim. I am now sandwiching another G.Grd.Daughter,4yr.old Keyli's quilt of TinkerBell & fairies and Pixies. I will post when done. I also outlined the dinos with Black thread. It made them standout almost 3d.

I'm I reading this correctly? You drew a picture on fabric with crayons, then ironed it to set it into the fabric.?

That is so neat!

Izy
    Ohhh I am so gonna put a great big box of crayons on my xmas pressie list, can't wait to try this, thanks for the heads up :D

Quote Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
    You did a wonderful quilt to meet your great grandsons request. He is going to be over the moon.

Izy wrote:

Bill'sBonBon wrote:

I'm I reading this correctly? You drew a picture on fabric with crayons, then ironed it to set it into the fabric.?

That is so neat!
    yes, Actually I printed out Dino color sheets from the internet. Then traced the pictures on the material using a pigma pen. Ironed them to set the ink. First coloring was on a soft pad. Second coloring and sometimes 3rd,was done with a sheet of sandpaper underneath. After each coloring either wax paper or white copy paper is used over picture and ironed. The heat picks up the wax and leaves the color. It amazed me how brillant the color was.

BillsBonBon

WOW.. that is really neat now that you explained it!!!

Imagine your grandkids coloring and then making a quilt out of there coloring... ooo my wheels are spinning AGAIN!!

Great quilt!!! He will love it.

Kyia

OMG, he's gonna love it. Fabulous job!!

Lucky young man. I is an awesome quilt!! :-) :-)

Blog Entries
    This is fabulous!!!!!!!!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    That turned out really nice. I've heard of this technique but I have never trusted it to be durable. I may have to try that idea after seeing how nice yours turned out.

Banned
    wow! that turned out awesome.... He's gonna love it :D

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    That turned out really nice. I've heard of this technique but I have never trusted it to be durable. I may have to try that idea after seeing how nice yours turned out.
    Mary, I don't know how long it will last either. :? After researching on the NET, Some said it withstood hot water and hot drying. :?: Don't know, But it was amazingly simple to do. It also gave him what he ask for. :D So if it lasts in color for however long it was worth it to me. :D

That is one reason I outlined each dino in Black Thread. It was very easy to do. I left the feed dogs up, Put my PresserFoot on zero, Had more control with the feeddogs up and moved the quilt where I wanted it to to outline all of those little paws,claws feathers.
    I want to start free motion quilting and this will give me practise on moving hands with the machine helping with feeddogs still up. Does that make sense, I believe it does,seems like it to me :lol:

I have told the moms and I will include care instructions as a reminder, to only wash in cold water and tumble air dry or hang it on a line,or anywhere it can be layed to dry.
    I am going to make a small wall size after Christmas and wash it in hot water and dry in a hot dryer a lot just as an experiment, then I will know for sure. :lol: :lol:
    Bill'sBonBon

Izy
    Well worse case senario and it fades.....the kids can always have fun colouring it back in again :lol: :D

Thanks for explaining.

That is just to cool!

Wow, what a lucky kid Erik is! He's going to be crazy about this quilt! You certainly did everything you could to give him exactly what he wants!

What a great quilt!!!

Blog Entries
    Great job.

Great job!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast