Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm discouraged :( >

I'm discouraged :(

I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 AM

I've been trying out FMQ for the past year but I don't seem to be improving. First thing first, I never get the thread tension right. I either get loops at the front or the back. I'm using a Janome 6260 and I've tried every single tension from 0 - 9 but nothing works. Even tried varying the machine speed, foot pedal tension etc but still at a dead end.

I find it rather hard to move my quilt sandwich under the machine. Sometimes it gets stucked, causing a huge ball of thread forming underneath! What has gone wrong?

The worst is, I can never get even stitches. They are either too short or too long. Can't seem to be able to move my quilt at an even speed. Even tried drawing out my design from a quilt stencil but somehow, I just can't follow the design! Jagged curves, uneven lines etc.

I don't think I can ever succeed with FMQ, despite trying on lots and lots of practice sandwiches. Maybe I should really just call it a day and stick to my walking foot. :(

Sorry for all these ranting...I need to let off steam!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM

It certainly is challenging! Sorry I don't have any pointers but am not very good myself.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Google Goddess

I heard it takes practice, practice, practice, please don't give up
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

yes, it does take practice, practie, practie but you can't improve if you are practicing the wrong moves over and over. Since you are far far away, I would try and contact someone in the Education Dept of your sewing machine company. Explain your location and your problems and try and set up a diaogue with them.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Is your dealer close by? If so, take your machine in and have them help set the correct tension. If not, rethread the machine carefully, use the same thread in the top as the bobbin. Make sure you have threaded the bobbin correctly. Next, use your manual and set the machine for regular stitching. If you can get it back to regular stitching mode with the correct tension it will make things easier. In your manual, look up Free Motion Quilting. Read what it says to do. It might be that you need the blue bobbin that Janome makes for FMQ. There is also a Yahoo Jonome Board, you might find help there. There have been other posts on this board for your very same problem. Do a search for it. Hope this will help some. I'll try and find more info for you.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Cyn

I feel your pain! I always go back to hand quilting.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 AM

This website might help.
www.content.janome.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=9&thread=3784
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 AM

You mentioned that the quilt is hard to move and gets stuck sometimes. What foot are you using and can you release the pressure on your foot? I helped someone recently and found she didn't have the right foot on her machine and was having the same type problem.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 AM

I don't have a Janome and frankly I am not that great at free motion but the main thing that has helped me is this:

Just make up a bunch of 12 inch quilt sandwiches and practice on those. What I did was used some old muslin and batting scraps. To begin I drew a stipple pattern and followed that. Then I drew other patterns and followed over and over. This will also help you to figure out what you need to do for your tension and such.

I would definitely check my needles and thread as well. My Bernina is sometimes finicky with the thread. Thread that I piece with sometimes does not work as well with the FMQ. I'm not sure why but check that out as well. Also, don't forget to give your machine a good cleaning as well. Sometimes lint and dust can cause problems as well.

Good luck and don't give up! Before you know it you'll be over this hurdle. :)
Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Oh, please don't scare me ... I'm just getting used to straight line quiling and want to move onto FMQ!!!!!

***covering ears to not hear the negatives***
while being a fly on the wall, to hopefully pick up some tips on the how tos. My plan is to do a bunch of Mug Rugs for my practice sessions!