Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine? >

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 PM

My teacher in class tonight said it's about impossible to do this and that we would want to send it to a long arm. I don't want to have to do that. Has anyone quilted a king size bed quilt on their domestic machine?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Not me but this lady quilts for others professionally on a home machine and she has done king size.

http://battsintheattic.blogspot.com/
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 PM

I am in the process of quilting a "generous" sized queen quilt right now on my Janome 6500. The batting I'm using is thin. I think the name of the batting is Thermore. It has NOT been a problem at all. Right now I'm just doing stitch in the ditch but I don't see that there would be any problem if I was doing FMQ instead. I've done SID quilting with my other older machine which has about a 6" throat & I did a queen log cabin on it. That was a little harder to turn the quilt but still doable. Have also FMQ several generous full sized quilts on the older machine & it went just fine.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 PM

It can be done - I have several friends who do all their own quilting on a domestic machine, regardless of the quilt size.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the link Gale

Originally Posted by gale
Not me but this lady quilts for others professionally on a home machine and she has done king size.

http://battsintheattic.blogspot.com/
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM

I did a garden twist quilt, king on my small singer. It is tough but it can be done. I haven't finished it yet due to change of mind on how I want it for my bed, I have also done a queen that I gave to my mom. I just do simple stippling or meandering. I have not gotten to where I can do all those cool designs yet.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 PM

When I first learned to quilt, I took a quilting class and they taught me how to make my queen-sized log cabin quilt on a domestic machine. I will admit it was rather difficult; bulky, but came out beautiful.
Since I was just learning, all I did was the stitch in the ditch over the entire quilt, and then washed it when I was finished. It's awesome, I am glad I did it now!
Hold on to your money, it can be done, Go for it!!
Stephanie
Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Power Poster

I quilted all my large quilts in sections on my DSM before I got a longarm. I used methods from Marti Michell's book. I also quilted one large quilt in one piece on the DSM after basting it with water soluble thread on the John Flynn frame. It can be done! (But I really recommend quilting in sections if you're using the DSM - much easier.)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
My teacher in class tonight said it's about impossible to do this and that we would want to send it to a long arm. I don't want to have to do that. Has anyone quilted a king size bed quilt on their domestic machine?
I have, yes it hard, but I don't have the money to send it out so I just been taking my time and doing it on the machine...
Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 AM

I quilted my new bed throw on my Pfaff, but I also only used SID quilting. I guess with a lot of practice one could also do free-motion quilting. In that case one option I once saw was to sit in front of the side of the machine, so that you have the machine lengthwise in front of you (I hope everybody knows what I mean). That way you can have the rolled up part of the quilt behind the needle and quilt from left to right.