Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine? >
  • Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

• Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have done an over sized king and a queen on my Domestic machine with a 6in. throat. It takes longer and is very tiring but it can be done.

here it is: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-86768-1.htm
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 AM

This winter I quilted 4 king-size quilts on my Sapphire 850. It has more room in the throat than a regular machine. I placed masking tape over the middle and quilted to the first half switched it around and quilted the other half. In order to keep both ends alike I drew the design on butcher paper, hung it on the wall and used it to keep the overall design the same.
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 AM

I've done them in sections.
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 AM

I've quilted all my quilts on my Huskie Quilt Designer and have had NO problems. I roll my quilts and start the quilting down the middle either in the ditch or 1 to 2 inches apart in straight lines. Works great for me and I am able to to say "I can't believe I did the "WHOLE" thing." You really need to have your machine in/on a flat surface with a flat extension on the back side for the quilt to lie on as it goes through the machine plus an extension on the front side to hold the quilt as you work it through. I love quilting my own quilts. I did an extra large king size flying geese quilt that turned out wonderful and it really didn't take all that much time to do it. I quilted it in the ditch and one inch apart in the borders. The back looks just as good as the front, smile. Good luck to all of you just learning and don't give up. You'll not regret it.
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 AM

I've done an oversized king - about 104" x ? FMQ and SID on my Bernina on a small fold out table, with the excess quilt draped on top of the guest bed behind me, on a tv tray to the side, over a couple of stacked up boxes to the rear, it was quite a set up but it got the job done! Just couldn't answer the phone once I got in there. I posted a pic called Oak Leaves somewhere on here. Good Luck, have fun, it can be done!
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 AM

Yes, I have. It was tough on the neck and shoulders until I got the middle done.
    Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 AM
    Power Poster

YES! I do all mine on my juki. I struggled with my bernina because the throat was small so I bought a machine with a 9" throat. I did this one and it is a king.

chelsea garden
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]201599[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-201593.jpe  
    Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 AM

I did FMQ on a king size on my domestic machine. It was only my 4th quilt. Roll half the quilt very tight and start quilting in the middle. You can roll or fold the other side. Make sure it is loosely bunched in your lap to avoid to much pull on the fabric. Then turn it the other way and repeat. It really helps to have a large table (such as a large dining table) pushed up against the wall and have another table (card table)to your left to hold the quilt as you sew.
    For a period of time we lived in a small apartment and only had a card table for dining so I put my rolling cutting table up against the bed (it is higher than most)to hold the quilt as I sewed and stood to do the quilting.
    I think rolling the quilt to fit in the machine throat and having a large space to hold the quilt to keep it from pulling is the most important aspect.
    Hope this helps.
    Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 AM

I have and I've had no problems.
    Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM
    Power Poster

Don't you hate it when someone tells you that it is "impossible" to do something??? I do all my quilts on my regular Bernina no matter what the size. I use the kitchen table and an ironing board set up on my left side to support the weight. You may tell that lady that she is flat out wrong.