Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine? >

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
I did it ONCE, said never again and started sending anything larger than a twin to a LAer, then became a LAer. There's not enough drugs and alcohol to make me quilt with my sewing machine....
There are enough drugs and alcohol for me to do it!!! I get what you are saying. Once you use a LA it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo hard to go back. Sadly, I don't always have access to the long arm and I never have the money to pay for one.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 AM

I have a friend that does all her quilts on her regular machine. I have seen kings that she has done an amazing job on. She does feathers, stippling and other patterns that are difficult on a regular machine. Some people just have the talent for things like that not me. As long as I can send it to a quilter I will but when I can't I will learn to do something else.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 AM

I've done a queen on a brother with a ridiculously small hole. I don't think I could have fit anything larger. I am now quilting a king on a Singer 15-91 - much more room. The biggest thing for me is to do little bits at a time. Since you are moving all the weight of the fabric through the machine, and pushing against the bulk in the opening, my arms get tired, and if I over do - my shoulders hurt to bad to do more the next day. And I use basting spray instead of pins -- it seems to hold everything together more smoothly while you are rolling and unrolling.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM

That's funny. :)

I'm addicted to free-motion quilting - I use my old Singer 15's for most of them because of the extra space, but I've quilted some very large quilts on a Lady Kenmore, which has about the same amount of space under the arm as most modern plastic sewing machines.

It's a struggle when you start because you're sewing in the middle of the quilt and have the most bulk to shove under the arm. But it gets easier as you move outward and the last couple of feet around the outside edge are much less physically taxing than the initial quilting.

I can't imagine not quilting, though - no matter how difficult it can sometimes be.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
That's funny. :)

It's a struggle when you start because you're sewing in the middle of the quilt and have the most bulk to shove under the arm. But it gets easier as you move outward and the last couple of feet around the outside edge are much less physically taxing than the initial quilting.
This is very true -- and it really doesn't take long to get that middle section done - and it just gets easier from there
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM

I just finished a queen, but quilted it in sections then joined the sections together. It was a pain, but it's done! I think for my next one I might try that method where you put a third of the batting in, quilt it, then repeat that twice to finish it up. I know there's a book on how to do this methond but I forgot the name of the author.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 AM

I have quilted a few queen size quilts on my old reliable Brother sewing machine. It's not easy, but they turned out well. I wouldn't put them in a juried show, but they are functional and well loved.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM

I've done a queen size on my machine. It just take time
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
I just finished a queen, but quilted it in sections then joined the sections together. It was a pain, but it's done! I think for my next one I might try that method where you put a third of the batting in, quilt it, then repeat that twice to finish it up. I know there's a book on how to do this methond but I forgot the name of the author.
This is the way I do it. Not just SID but FMQ. Works fantastic for me. :thumbup:
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM

I did a queen size, ( quilt in my Avatar picture) but only stitch in the ditch on my Brother Innovis QC 1000, and it was a real test, I took about 3 days to do it, as I have trouble sitting for long periods due to a back condition.I will have to do the next one on the Grace Quilting frame, just lack the confidence to do FMQ on a large quilt, but I have done a couple of throws on it.