Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone curse when quilting? >

Does anyone curse when quilting?

Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 AM

Take a break. Breath in. Breath out. Smile, and go on.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM

The block is supposed to be easy. If you do the following things: sew a scant 1/4" so when it is pressed correctly the result is a correct block to which you add the next row.
There are many ways to gauge if you are doing this. One other thing that I suggest is Marti Michelle's Log Cabin Ruler. If you cut your strips correctly, sew and press correctly, the next piece will fit perfectly and you should end up with a beautifully pieced block. If not then become a candy maker and learn to 'fudge' so the blocks look like they should and they will all be Beautiful!!! lol lol
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 AM

If anyone says they don't curse while quilting or sewing they are lying to themselves and others. Been there done that over and over.
My husband is a machinist and I have had to listen to his talk of work for 34 years now. I am amazed that something like iron, stainless steel or any other metal is as hard to cut accurately etc. as our fabric. Little things like temperture and humidity actually make a difference when cutting metals. They actually use "dry ice" and an ice chest to transport pieces of metal the length of the shop building so that it will not change size before they can do their cutting. My husband says it is standard procedure to use ice or heat to make two parts fit together as it is almost impossible to cut them precisely to make a perfect fit.
If "metal" is that unstable how can we expect fabric to not be impacted by similar conditions. Why do you think we try tricks like starching our fabric before cutting etc. etc. If metals were as unstable as our fabric there would be no way to make things out of that material. While I am very proud of my handquilting I will admit that after more than 40 years of sewing and quilting my piecing and seams in general will never be perfect.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM

First of all, your avatar is beautiful!

Funny you should ask. The first time I did a log cabin I didn't like it... too many pieces; having to clip and pull it out of the machine, press; etc. Wasn't going to do that anymore. And getting them to come out to the correct size, yuk! :-( :thumbdown:

However, I worked on a pattern from Jo Morton's book in a class once. We sewed, starched, pressed and squared up every strip we sewed on. The blocks were only 5" squared when finished. I hated it.

Through that I learned that if I expected everything to be perfect (which everyone in the class seemed to be) I was never going to finish a quilt. So, I learned to accept my imperfect finished squares AND finished the little 15" x 15" piece we were making. I loved it.

Now, I only finger press after each strip is attached, try to square up after every strip is sewn and LOVE my block HOWEVER it turns out. Log Cabin is my very favorite block. I am currently collecting floral pieces of fabric to make log cabins similar to Barnbum's beautiful floral log cabins. :-D

You might, in the end, just learn to love Log Cabins as I have!

PS: now if "I" look at my finished log cabins, I see all of the imperfect strips and often the center square is uneven but no one ever comments on those. I will see if I can find the photos.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-202604.jpe   attachment-202605.jpe  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM

No. 1, I always curse. Yes, there a lot of people who do not want to be near me when I am having fun. No. 2, what do you mean by the parts of the log cabin block are off? Were they cut too small, too large? Or do you mean the pattern of the fabric is off? Guess what, they are supposed to be! That is what makes the Log Cabin a treasured block. The quilts that are not perfect have so much more character to them. Go get a drink of whatever you want, take a deep breath, eat some chocolate and JUST HAVE FUN! That is what it is all about.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 AM

When I make log cabin blocks I cut as I go and make the
"the logs" about 1/8-1/4" wider & 1/2" longer than needed so that I can trim as I sew them, built in fudge factor.
My log cabin blocks are totally scrappy. You can look at a picture of one of them here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719chaqYB
Sharon W.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

No I just sit for some time, watch t.v., get a snack or pack up for the day.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I decided to slow down and make my quilting "MY TIME", it was fun. Quilting is not a hurry up process. Don't worry about your mistakes. Take your time and enjoy your time alone. My moto is:

Forgive your imperfections,
accept your faults, and laugh.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM

hahhahahaahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

no, but i'm not hard on myself. i quilt for fun. if it isn't perfect - i don't care.