Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sterlite storage drawers, totes ....curse or blessing? >

Sterlite storage drawers, totes ....curse or blessing?

Sterlite storage drawers, totes ....curse or blessing?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Sterlite storage drawers, totes ....curse or blessing?

Yea, we all have them. Cheap fabric and notions storage. I am frankly on a mission the clear them out and never buy another one. I aM organizing UFO's and hopefully condensing the fabric to a manageable level. If I think I need another plastic storage thingy, I have too many projects in waiting. Bleh!

Anyone else sick of looking at these??
Sandy
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I took my fabric out of totes and put it on boards and into a cupboard with doors. I thought I could get rid of my totes but no, I just put some of my bulky stuff that was sitting around my sewing room into them. I swear all my stuff expanded while I was busy putting my fabric away.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 AM

I think you will find that is a problem with a lot of us. The more I clean and get rid of the more I have to find a place for. If anyone finds a way to solve this problem please let us know.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Sorry, I'd be totally lost without my Sterlite storage. I live on a dirt road through a pine forest with no A/C. Open windows all summer guarantee a dusty pollen mess on any horizontal surface. Add two shedding cats and that mess turns fuzzy. There is absolutely no way fabric would stay clean were it not for storage in plastic bins.

Mine are relatively small (27 quart), clear, and simple to move around. I can easily see what's in each one, there is no digging to find what I need, and I've been assured by my quilt appraiser that the storage is safe, even for my antique quilts. Nope, I'm not parting with mine and, in fact, continue to add more from time to time.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Depends how much storage space you have. I have just switched from plastic shoe boxes to Ikea drawer organizers. They store more, especially FQ, half yard cuts, and one yard cuts. I use them on my shelves, on top of dressers, and of course in the drawers. They come in many sizes, they are made of some kind of fabric, reinforced, and the bottom unzips for easy storage if you do not need them. The fold flat. I also have two Ikea fabric under bed storage containers and since they have a zipper covet I use them for yardage, UFOs and batting. Again they fold for storage when you do not need them. The fabric they are made of can be wiped with a wet cloth, easy to keep clean an dusted, and they come in many colors. Mine are purple and black.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM

I was at a yard sale once eyeing a nice container with a set of drawers. Another lady beside me was admiring it, too. We both agreed it would be a good thing to have. Then I added the downside...I'd just end up filling it!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM

I recently bought some pretty Craftologie boxes on sale at JoAnn's for a fun alternative to my plastic bins... I am able to keep most of my plastic storage behind doors and leave the pretty ones stacked in my room now.

But by far my best strategy to clear out containers by finishing what is inside them so I hear you!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:18 AM

I recently cleaned out my tall, skinny, outdoor craft shed and it only holds quilting supplies now, but I had to buy a big clear tote to put on top of the two dressers for the rest of what I'd had in bags inside. It looks so nice now. The only drawback is that I have to run between the raindrops to gather fabrics because it inevitably storms just as I get the urge to try something new! LOL! It's nice to open the doors though & not have all sorts of bags pelting you! :-)
Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Yea, we all have them. Cheap fabric and notions storage. I am frankly on a mission the clear them out and never buy another one. I aM organizing UFO's and hopefully condensing the fabric to a manageable level. If I think I need another plastic storage thingy, I have too many projects in waiting. Bleh!

Anyone else sick of looking at these??
Sandy
I'm not understanding what your beef is with the storage containers. I prefer the almost clear ones. I love them!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 PM

I have plastic tubs, and they are getting too heavy for me to lift, as I stack them on top of each other. I am searching yardsales for one of those old tv armoire things with doors and drawers (the kind that held big tv's). I plan on organizing my fabric from some of the plastic totes into it. I am going to donate my old fabric that I will never use at that time.