Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone had experience with Elna sewing machine? >

Has anyone had experience with Elna sewing machine?

Has anyone had experience with Elna sewing machine?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

I am considering getting a new sewing machine in a few months, and my mom has a elna(though she does not use it much, it's like a decoration :roll: ) and she likes it, though I can't see how she'd know... Anyway...
There is a Elna dealer not that far from where I live and when I was in there last to get my singer repaired, I asked about sewing machines, and she showed me this one http://www.elna.com/en-gw/model_sewing_elna-3210.php
Elna is a good brand from what I've heard, and so my question after all of this rambling is: Would this last for a long time or is it like singer where the quality has gone down? I want something that is a step up, will last a long time, do not have to mess with tension that much, and I won't get mad after a few hours.

The dealer also offers free lessons :wink:

Thanks for all your responses
Emily

And sorry about the rambling :roll:
Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter101
I am considering getting a new sewing machine in a few months, and my mom has a elna(though she does not use it much, it's like a decoration :roll: ) and she likes it, though I can't see how she'd know... Anyway...
There is a Elna dealer not that far from where I live and when I was in there last to get my singer repaired, I asked about sewing machines, and she showed me this one http://www.elna.com/en-gw/model_sewing_elna-3210.php
Elna is a good brand from what I've heard, and so my question after all of this rambling is: Would this last for a long time or is it like singer where the quality has gone down? I want something that is a step up, will last a long time, do not have to mess with tension that much, and I won't get mad after a few hours.

The dealer also offers free lessons :wink:

Thanks for all your responses
Emily

And sorry about the rambling :roll:

I had an Elna and used it for many years until we had a flood and it went under. I really miss it. I used it to make a lot of stuffed animals and clothing and never had any problems with it. I wasn't into quilting at the time but I imagine that it would be good for that too.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM

I have 2 Elnas, one is a Quilters Dream. I love both of them, and have never had an ounce of trouble with either. I would go for it, my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 PM

I have the Quilter's Dream which I purchased approx 6 years ago. I bought it new, I've never had a problem with it and I love it.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 AM

They appear to have improved. I bought a new one ($1500 retail) 16 years ago, and it was JUNK. Every single plastic piece (thread guides, presser foot lifter, foot pedal, etc) broke within 5 years. I hated that machine, but after spending so much money, I was stuck with it. I bought it before we moved to a very remote area, so I couldn't get it serviced, either!! SO foolish.

So obviously they are getting better instead of deteriorating in quality.