Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kits--Sharon Pederson >

Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kits--Sharon Pederson

Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kits--Sharon Pederson

Old 05-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi--I retire in exactly 30 days and one of the first projects I want to tackle with my new (used) Bernina is Sharon Pederson's Rose of Sharon quilt "Roses of Remembrance." Because I am a newbie to machine embroidery and to Berninas, I bought Pederson's DVD based off a recommendation I read here on the Board. However, stupid me, I did not read the thread about how the Accuquilt Go! RoS dies do not include a seam allowance, nor did I pick up on that impt detail while watching her video. Of course, I have bought the dies and a Big Shot Pro to crank out the pieces, but never dreamed I would be married to fusible applique techniques. Guess it's better to know this now rather than after I buy the fabrics!

In an effort to avoid additional stupidities, can anyone generally advise if a quilt kit is the way to go (especially if you love the featured fabrics) or if it's more economical to buy the fabrics individually through a batik vendor (like that site recommended by one of the members here--didn't write down her name so can't reference it without losing my text.

I can sit down and do the math, but I have no experience with quilt kits to compare actual costs. I also don't have a sense of how much "extra" fabric is included in a kit, how closely the materials will resemble/correspond to the demo, etc. etc.

I would be very grateful for general words of wisdom and/or specific advice about this Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kit developed with/for Sharon Pederson.

Many thanks and best wishes of the holiday weekend.

PS--I have found fabric-only Island Batik Rose of Sharon quilt kits ranging in price from $150 - $299 on the web.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I think the kits run a bit more (If you figure out exact yardage) - but you get the exact fabric you need. Some pieces may need only a 4 inch square and most shops won't cut just a 4 inch square from the bolt , so you would have to buy the smallest piece they will cut - so then you would pay more and have extra. Does that make sense ?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Congratulations on your pending retirement! I did that about a year and a half ago. I have bought a few kits, but have not paid that much for any of them. I would take a look at the fabric called for in the pattern and check the price (including postage) of buying what you need yourself against buying it as a kit. If you want it to look just like the featured quilt and you can afford to buy the kit, by all means, buy the kit. You will also have to buy a backing. Are you going to do the quilt-as-you-go method? It is certainly a beautiful quilt! You might want to spend some time "practicing" with your new "used" Bernina before you start on the project LOL! Looking forward to pictures!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM

I am currently doing this project as a BOM and I would honestly just buy the fabric in yardage instead of in a kit. There has been so many mistakes in the yardage cuts for the BOM that I would be paranoid that the kit would not contain the right amount for each piece and if it takes you months to do the fabric may not be available later on.

I ordered extra fabric from Batiks Galore in Texas and was very pleased with their prices and service. Very quick shipping!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Sometimes I buy the kit because it has all the fabrics I need, especially if you really like the way the pattern on the kit looks. Sometimes you can't find the individual fabrics on your own. Some could be discontinued and no longer available. Sometimes you may find a fabric you need only 1/4 a yard of and the only place you've found it sells 1 yard cuts or more. Don't expect to find all the fabrics you need at one shop. you'll have the expense of 2 or 3 separate shipments. All of the kits I have purchased have had an abundance of fabric in them. Every kit I've ordered from Hancocks of Paducah has had extra fabric. There was so much extra in the last kit that I purchased as a gift for the lady teaching me how to quilt, that she was able to make a second bed quilt by adding a small amount of fabric, border and backing.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM

I have purchased kits and have been very disappointed in the quality of some of the fabrics. I have also been shorted on some of the cuts.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 PM

I should add I was able to order every fabric listed in the book from the same place mentioned above.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Most of the kits I have bought have everything I need. A few have been short of fabric (or I made a mistake in cutting!) Overall the kits cost a bit more than just buying the fabric, BUT since it is almost impossible to buy just a 7 inch square of this, or a 5x 10 inch strip of that, it is cheaper to buy a kit if there are small pieces involved.
Hope that makes sense!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
I should add I was able to order every fabric listed in the book from the same place mentioned above.
Hi--thanks so much for all your sharing on this subject. Were the fabrics you ordered from Texas Batiks the very same fabrics as shown in Sharon's demo quilt?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I think the kits run a bit more (If you figure out exact yardage) - but you get the exact fabric you need. Some pieces may need only a 4 inch square and most shops won't cut just a 4 inch square from the bolt , so you would have to buy the smallest piece they will cut - so then you would pay more and have extra. Does that make sense ?
Perfect sense, and thanks for confirming my suspicions--I do so appreciate benefiting from your experience.