Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rose of Sharon Block Book by Sharon Pederson, technique question! >

Rose of Sharon Block Book by Sharon Pederson, technique question!

Rose of Sharon Block Book by Sharon Pederson, technique question!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Hi, I have this book & like to play with different applique techniques & am wondering about her using rubber cement? Is it safe to use in a quilt project? She doesn't mention washing your quilt when done, but am curious about leaving it in the quilt? I know it says it flamable, so am wondering if I should even try this technique? So, any input would be helpful! I love alot of the blocks, &, it's a beautiful book, so am just looking for ways others have done them, or if they have tried her rubber cement method. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM

I personally don't know if I would use rubber cement. I don't know what application she's using it for, but I'm sure I wouldn't use it on a quilt.

JMHO
Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I personally don't know if I would use rubber cement. I don't know what application she's using it for, but I'm sure I wouldn't use it on a quilt.

JMHO
She uses it on the freezer paper method, to machine applique later. Iron the freezer paper template to your fabric, then uses the rubber cement to turn the edges under. Hope this makes sense... You can see why I am curious to...
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
She uses it on the freezer paper method, to machine applique later. Iron the freezer paper template to your fabric, then uses the rubber cement to turn the edges under.
I've never used rubber cement, but I have used a glue stick to turn the edges under. Sharon Schamber recommends using the Elmer School Glue Sticks, the ones that turn from purple to clear.

Janet
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

It is only on the template. Don't worry about it staying in the fabric. It will never touch the fabric. I would rather use any product that is more environmentally safe.
peace :D
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Hmm, well, you put it on the template, &, on the fabric you are turning under. Has to be on both, as it only sticks to itself, if that makes sense.
I did ask hubby about it, as he uses it in his leatherwork, & he said, once it dries, no worry, no smell. So it sounds pretty safe to me. I was mostly worried about any lingering smell. Sounds like it dries up & goes away. I did try the glue stick, but it actually sticks to the fp, at least with the method I tried, then you soak your block & have to remove it that way, even with tweezers in tiny spots. So was not real impressed with that method.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
It is only on the template. Don't worry about it staying in the fabric. It will never touch the fabric. I would rather use any product that is more environmentally safe.
peace :D
Is the rubber cement environmentally safe then? Am wondering, the way you wrote it here, lol...thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Hi, I have this book & like to play with different applique techniques & am wondering about her using rubber cement? Is it safe to use in a quilt project? She doesn't mention washing your quilt when done, but am curious about leaving it in the quilt? I know it says it flamable, so am wondering if I should even try this technique? So, any input would be helpful! I love alot of the blocks, &, it's a beautiful book, so am just looking for ways others have done them, or if they have tried her rubber cement method. Thanks!
I use the freezer paper method I like to use the liquid Sta flo starch (Walmart) I use q-tip to apply on the seam allowance and use small iron press and then remove the paper you have a nice crisp edge for your applique. I often teach this technique students love it.
Give it a try.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 AM
saf

I have just bought this book too and living in the UK could not find rubber cement in my local shop so I used spray starch in the same way. Ironed the applique onto the freezer paper and then sprayed a little starch into the lid and used a cotton bud to spread it around the seam allowance and ironed it down. Then removed the freezer paper. Worked a treat. Nice neat edges and no fraying.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 AM

I use Sta-flo starch and a Q-tip. I wouldn't use rubber cement.

Vicky