Flat screen tv help

Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 AM

I am going to get DH a flat screen TV for his Christmas present. I am NOT a technical person and am clueless about the new TV's on the market.

What is the difference between plasma and LCD and Aquos? I know we don't want a huge TV ( DH probably would love it, but not me! LOL!!), probably 40 inches or so is the max. And no 3D TV's. Are some brands better than others? And should I get the purchase protection plan most store offer??
Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM

I'd like to know the answers also, May in Jersey
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am going to get DH a flat screen TV for his Christmas present. I am NOT a technical person and am clueless about the new TV's on the market.

What is the difference between plasma and LCD and Aquos? I know we don't want a huge TV ( DH probably would love it, but not me! LOL!!), probably 40 inches or so is the max. And no 3D TV's. Are some brands better than others? And should I get the purchase protection plan most store offer??
We have 2 big screen TV's and neither are by my choice. But that being said. When we bought our TV's, we were turned away from buying Plasma. The man told us that they won't last as long as an LCD. We bought the purchase protection even if you never use it...its just wise as to replace things inside the big screens are very expensive. I have a friend that had a Plasma and something about the lamp inside it was covered on their pruchase protection and she said it was like $500 for the lamp but I don't know and I really do not ever want to find out but I do know that they are very expensive to replace. Ours are both a Mitsubishi. And one of them is a 3D but we were not aware of that when we purchased it or we wouldnt have as I am unable to watch 3D and so my husband doesn't bother with it either. And another thing...when you go to clean your screen...spray your glass spray ONTO your cleaning rag and Make sure that the TV is off and do not put any pressure on the screen if you can help it. :) But you will enjoy watching the big screen. And HD is WONDERFUL and you will notice a difference.
I have never heard of the Aquos.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Samsung LED HDTVs - Low energy consumption
Old 05-30-2011, 11:38 AM

My old stone-age tv recently died, and my adult son helped me pick out a replacement. I ended up buying one at Best Buy, a Sharp Aquos LCD 32 inch. I know nothing about tvs, so I was grateful that he could set it up for me. We had to get a new HD box from our cable company (free), and my son took care of the settings. One thing I learned is that new HD tvs come with a number like 1080p, or 720p, or a smaller number with a p (that I can't remember). My son, who knows I have no clue about electronics, told me to think of it like the number of pixels in the screen, with the highest number being the sharpest screen. I only bring this up because I'd never heard of it, but it was important in taking care of all the settings with the cable HD box. Thankfully, he took care of that. Bottom line, I love the new tv and almost never watch shows that aren't in HD.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 PM

DGD and I were looking at Sears today and a couple TV's said Aquos on them. I wasn't sure if that was another type of TV or not. The salesman was not interested in helping us either. We were the only ones in the whole dept.

I don't want to mount it to my wall. I like the option of being able to re-arrange my living room if I want to. What do you all have your TV's sittin on? We have an entertainment center that will have to go to the family room as it is too small width wise for a large flat screen.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM

I bought my first flat screen and it is a Samsung LED. I could only fit the 35 inch in my armoire but I love it. One of the things I did look for was the viewing range, example: do you have to look at it straight on or is the picture just as clear when looking at from the side. I have no problem in that regard with the Samsung. I have to pay extra for HD on my cable plan so I didn't get it but my Samsung is HD compatible.

My son just bought 3 large screen (40 inches and above) Samsungs when they moved into their new house. They have HD and he hooked one of them up to larger speakers and it's like you're in a theater. Love to watch movies when I babysit the grandbabies!!

Originally Posted by FancyFoot
Samsung LED HDTVs - Low energy consumption
Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM

LCD is Liquid Crystal Display, it's the only kind I have.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM

LCD - Plasma looks like a mirror when OFF. We debated and debated on a big TV ---the young sales person said "no one has ever returned a TV for being too big". We ended up with a 55" and we both love it. LG - LCD. Picture is like being there!! We have a small home ----------everyone who comes over loves it!! We were told 46/47" TV's would be the smallest available within two years. Talk to the young sales people at a good store and you will learn a lot. Enjoy!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 PM

We just purchased the 60" Sharp Led Lcd. Beautiful, low energy, got it at Best Buy, and I had a Samsung 61" and the fan #2 went out, that was $482. then the lamp went out, and tv tech said don't put anymore money in it. It was only 4 years old and I didn't purchase the coverage on it. We got it at Circuit City and they went out of business. But I did on the new one for sure. Have had it since April 7th and after a month or 1000 hours, they come out and calibrate the tv. And they called on the 7th of May to come out. I was impressed with Best Buy. Also they say if Sharp doesn't take care of any problems , call Best Buy, they don't fix they just give you a brand new one.