Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone collect American Girl dolls? >

Does anyone collect American Girl dolls?

Does anyone collect American Girl dolls?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I started collecting American Girl dolls several years ago when my granddaughter was little. I think I loved them as much as she did. I made lots of clothes for all of them. I especially enjoy sewing for Kit, Molly, and their friends from the 1930's and 40's era. They remind me of clothes I wore when I was a child.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:00 PM

My daughter has Samantha. I have some patterns for clothes but never made any. There was a little shop near us that had outfits that someone made for reasonable prices, so I bought Samantha things.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Oh my gosh, when my girls were little we had dolls all over the house! We started with something called Magic Attic dolls; very similar to American girl but more current stories and much more reasonably priced. They each had 1 of those and when they showed that they could care for them well we "graduated" to American Girl dolls. We have Molly, Josephina, and Felicity (she's mine). Yes, we got into the doll clothes and I used to make matching outfits for the girls and their dolls. My mother made them backpack type carry bags and they went EVERYWHERE with us! It culminated in a trip to Chicago to the American Girl place with me, mom, and both girls. What wonderful memories!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM
SEW

I don't collect them, but I have one! I started making clothes for my nieces American Girl dolls. It was so much fun, when I would sew, I would make an outfit for their doll and one for me. Finally after about a year, my husband bought me Kirsten Larson for Christmas. She already had a huge wardrobe by the time she arrived!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM

I took my nieces into the Chicago American Girl Store last weekend. We window shopped. The youngest, who loves dolls as much as I do, saw the price of a doll and yelled out. "Are they kidding? It's just a doll!"

lol, gotta love that my frugality has passed down.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM

I had never heard about them until 2009 when they came out with the "Mia" doll. Mia is my oldest daughters name, therefore developed my interest. Her and I both had the same opinion as deedee75's niece: "Are they kidding? It's just a doll!" Who knows; maybe in 100 years or so. Just remembered my friend Roxie who collected more than 500 Beanie Babies for 5 or so years. When she fell on hard times and tried to sell them on Ebay, her best offer was $40.00.