Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting >
  • Quilting

• Quilting

Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 PM

How many of you quilt from the front and how many of you quilt from the back?

I really like the little puffs on the back. The front looks like it has been flattened.

Syl
    Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM

I have never quilted from the back. Interesting....
    Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
    Power Poster

i don't understand the (puffs on the back)???
    do you get those when you quilt from the back? and if so...why?
    when i quilt (being a long arm-er) i normally load the back, the batting, the top and quilt away---after washing the quilt gets the nice...crinkly quilted look...but (Puffs?) not sure what that is...
    i did quilt a quilt upside down once---the back on top- the top on bottom- because of the design- it was easier to follow that way= but i did not have puffs on either side- i had both sides quilted- just the top had the bobbin thread and the back had the top thread...that's the only difference i know of...interested in learning more about (puffs) ... a new design feature???
    Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Just do 4 or 5 rows of 1 inch squares or feather and look at the difference from the front and back

Check out any quilt on the board and look at the difference. I can see where the front lies flatter than the back, making the back look a little puffy.
    Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Quilts don't always have those "puffs."

If you're getting them, better basting can help you not get them in future. I've gotten them on mine, especially on my first quilts, but my long armer never does, and I wouldn't pay for her work if she did.

I quilt from the top.
    Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM

I dont do long arm.. probably never will because its not something i could really ever afford (i would love to try it one day though). Im assuming the reason why there isnt "puffies" on a long armed quilt is because its on a big machine that holds the sandwich taut(sp) *im only going by pictures* :P I do lots of basting especially since my quilting is done by hand or on my little home sewing machine. Mine get a puffed look too and to be honest every person i have made a quilt for actually complimented the puffy look. says it makes it look huggable :D.
    Honestly i think either way makes a quilt look beautiful but im biased.. i love quilting XD.
    You should give it a shot! I have been planning to quilt from the back on one of the upcoming quilts. It seems like it will be fun! I cant wait to see your work if you decide to do it!
    Good luck!