Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning bobbin winding spool >

Cleaning bobbin winding spool

Cleaning bobbin winding spool

Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM

Does anyone have any hints or clues as to what I can use to clean the bobbin winding spool on my Viking Platinum? It's been 'sticky' for a while making it difficult to remove the full bobbin. Today I had to wait until DH came home to pull the full bobbin off. Had to use my featherweight to continue sewing which was a treat except I was trying to line up two pieces of black fabric and sewing on a machine with a black bed. I think I'm half blind now.

TIA
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM

I'm not sure what you have on your bobbin winder, but if it's sticky, I would try wiping with alcohol on a piece of cotton. I know that if I wind invisible thread too fast on a plastic bobbin, it winds too tight & is hard to get off the bobbin holder.

I have a Viking Rose
Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Goo Gone is the best for any sticky things. Be sure to put a small amount on cloth (I using cotton batting pieces) so it doesn't drip. It's found in the paint department in most stores.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

a small amount of sewing machine oil on a soft cloth will clean off sticky residue also---and if you are having problems removing your bobbins they are being wound too tight- make sure to use all of the guides- and have the thread under the foot (if threading bobbins from a threaded needle) to help loosen up that tension a bit....the dealer where i bought my viking actually YELLED AT ME one time when i took the machine in because i could not get the bobbin off the spool....toooooo tight
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM

There's no sticky residue - just hard to pull off the newly wound bobbin. 99% of the time I wind the bobbin with the thread still in the needle; thread under the foot and thread in all the appropriate guides. I've noticed it's just been getting progressively harder to get the full bobbin off the winding spool lately. Maybe I need to wind at a slower rate?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

have your DH bring you some sandpaper and rub the spindle!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
dd

Sounds like she might need a trip to the "spa". If the tech yells, there are other places that repair machines. May just need an adjustment. My store has online cpns so the tune up and cleaning is only $50 instead of $79.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I think you should try winding the bobbin at the slower speed.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 AM

to NJQUILTER and others with stuck bobbins:

DON'T try to just pull it off the spindle. Could damage your viking machine. Slow the speed down when you wind bobbins. To get a stuck bobbin off you have to remove ALL the thread from the bobbin. I had to cut all that thread of with a straight edge razor blade when mine got stuck.
Tedious, but much less costly than the repair bill to replace the bobbin winder mechanism on a Viking.