Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who sews things besides quilts? >

Who sews things besides quilts?

Who sews things besides quilts?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
cjr

Besides quilting have throu the years made many other things. Never Roman shades. My daughter asked to make her some. Where can I find the pattern, I'm sure I can do it. She is an extreme perfectionist, so i want to do a good job. She also said something about them being stringless.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thank you in advance
Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM

I made all new cushions for my wicker furniture on my screened in patio. They turned out so nice, first time to try that. Took the old one off and used for pattern. Worked great, had two chairs, one rocker and one settee..Saved a lot of $$ doing it myself rather than buying new ones. The stuffing was still really good inside. Enjoyed the project.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888
I had tons of patterns, notions and every possible do-dad for sewing. But now I just make quilts;...but I never can do a craft half way; again I have tons of fabric, notions, and every quilting do-dad there is. My husband calls me a fabric addict - and I think he's right I've always loved fabric.
"Fabric-addict"...well you've come to the right place, I think that could be said of most of us here! What is it about fabric that just speaks to you? Sometimes I think it is emotional, like memories. I am a complete sucker for anything that reminds me of our cabin, when I was a child. It is comforting. Better fabric than food, I say.;)

I used to sew clothing & home-dec., but really I can't seem to stray from quilting too often now. I do make the occasional costume for my older kids, or draperies as needed. I really need to go back to sewing my own blouses. For most of you, you will understand why. If you took the 5 women I see the most we couldn't be more different in shape; pear, apple, whatever you want to call us...tall, short, skinny, wide, busty, flat...it's just not as easy as most men have it. In addition, I really hate shopping for anything that's not sewing-related. I'd rather shop for fabric & a pattern than try on clothes all day.

"A man's suit and jeans...very impressive!" As another member said, I couldn't agree more! Where did you get all the experience or are you just persevering?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I make garments as well as quilting. I just love to sew
peggy
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM

I do quite a bit of home dec - bed skirts and spreads (I really like doing these), duvet covers, window coverings, table coverings and cornice boards. I love a beautiful room! I have a closet for all of my coverings so I can change them regularly.

Years ago I did quite a bit of clothing and wedding gowns but I can't ever see myself doing them again.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kaz
But, now DH found I can sew he has a list as long as his arms 'cos he is 6'3" and nothing is ever long enough.
We are a very tall family as well. I am 5'-9.5", but am now the shortest in my family. Even my 13 y.o. DD has passed me by. I have found JCPenneys to be my best bet for tall skinny clothes, unless you Want to make DH shirts. I have made knit LS T-shirts for my DH, with my serger & a raglan sleeve...works out nice. Just wanted to give you a heads up, that JCP carries Extra Talls, which work for my DH who's 6'4". I can always buy what's on sale online, slightly out of season, for a great price...with minimal altering, if needed. I like the St. John's Bay brand for a good sleeve length, & it won't shrink if it's a blend. Hope you might find something to your liking there. I get free shipping coupons all the time, & they let you return to store with no problem. I got the our tall men all collared fleece jackets, this past January, for about $12 each (orig. about $60).

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-27-2018 at 03:06 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-04-2011, 07:38 PM

I also do all types of sewing, garment, home-dec, tractor seat covers, LOL! I also do other types of needle work. I most enjoy hand embroidery next to quilting and also still love making western shirts for the men in my life. Of all things I do, the one I hate doing is patching denim jeans. Being married to a farmer, I doubt I'm going to get away from that anytime soon. Ha!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Of all things I do, the one I hate doing is patching denim jeans. Being married to a farmer, I doubt I'm going to get away from that anytime soon. Ha!
So, do you have any secrets to share on patching? My DH also goes through the jeans quickly & I only buy the darkest blue stiff ones-Wrangler with rivets. I haven't tried that powder (Bo Nash) they sell at sewing/quilting shows...somehow supposed to make a patch blend well. Have you tried it?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 PM

I made clothes for my children growning up, myself, my ex-husband, friends, etc. I still make some of my own clothes, home dec stuff, totes & bags. But quilting is my main love now.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 PM

I'm with you. I've done alterations in my home for many years...and yes, it pays for all the fabric and stuff
Originally Posted by MisDixie
I do alterations and repairs on the side. That helps pay for the quilting addiction! I also make clothing for myself when the mood hits.