Cancer

Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM

I don't know a whole lot about cancer but have had family members and a friend die from it. Can anyone goe from stage 1 to stage 4 cancer without knowing that they even have cancer at all.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Several of my family members suffered with this disease. The best reference I found to answer my questions is the American Cancer Society. Here is the link:
http://www.cancer.org/
Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM

I would think if the cancer went undetected or unnoticed, it would be reasonable to think it could get to stage 4 without someone knowing.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Bottom line...yes. Some cancers grow very quickly. Some cancers are very slow growing. Some people ignore the warning signs and by the time they go to the Dr. they are stage 4. Some people with stage 4 cancer can live years.

Cancer has no rules.

I am a 18 month survivor of breast cancer.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM

sure they can,
some cancer's are slow and some are fast
some have pain some have none.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Yes they can. My hubby didn't even know that he had cancer 'til they were going to take a parotid gland out of his neck and during the pre-op exam they discovered a cancer in his left lung. They sent him to Columbia, Mo. to the cancer center who diagnosed him with stage 4 lung cancer. They gave him 6 months to live at that time. He went on a "protocol" program which consisted of 2 years of chemo at once a week. His cancer has been in remission now for 6 years. But it can happen.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM

In May of 2007, I was diagnoised with stage 4 Non-hodgkin's Lymphoma. The only reason I went to the doctor was because my back had been hurting for about a week. Went through 9 months of intensive chemo. Last treatment, November 2007 and have been in remissive ever since. And I thank my Heavenly Father for every day I wake up.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
I don't know a whole lot about cancer but have had family members and a friend die from it. Can anyone goe from stage 1 to stage 4 cancer without knowing that they even have cancer at all.
--------------------------------
Yes, I think so, and rapidly. My dear Brother-in-law was sent to hospital, in apparent good health (he smoked all his life) but with
a horrid headache, was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer. He died less than 3 months later.
--------------------------------
And one day, while in about year 28 of volunteering at our local hospital, they had free screening for hospital personnel. We were considered non-salaried personnel so a nice nurse insisted that I go with her for a mammo. Next day got a call from my doctor..now every morning I thank God for being here, then stick my Bosom Buddy in my bra and I'm good to go for the rest of the day.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

My aunt had mild "flu-like" symptoms for over A YEAR. Got really sick, went to hospital. D4 found that she had extensive cancer through out her abdomen, lungs, and brain. She passed away w/in 3 days.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
My mom passed last Thursday with stage 4 lung cancer and told my sister that it was her lungs that quit working. My mom did know 2 days before she passed that it was only in 1 spot and that it was cancer. The doctor told her it was only a small cancer cell. But my sister found out Thursday what stage it was.