Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cuddle Minky Question >

Cuddle Minky Question

Cuddle Minky Question

Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM

I'm so happy! Today I recieved the plain Cuddle Minky that was purchased from Fabric.com. I pulled it out of the box and it felt like it had just come from the dryer since it's almost 100 degrees today. But the cuddle Minky is like petting a baby rabbit--it could not be any softer. Perfect for a quilt back.

I have made several throw quilts using Minky on the back and the one we kept is our favorite quilt. In fact, my husband and I will run to see who gets it first in the winter.

My question is, has anybody ever quilted Minky on a regular sewing machine? My Sapphire has a 10 inch throat but I've always asked my LA quilter to quilt Minky. I'm thinking it would slip and slide all over the place plus would be heavy to wrestle around. Any thoughts or tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Mary
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM

I made a throw with Minkee on both sides... I SITD... and it was a PAIN. It was slick and not fun... I swore I would never sew with it again. That being said, that was probably the 4th or 5th quilt I ever made.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Just a thought... if it is only on one side (the back), could you quilt from the back so it wouldn't slide as much? I would love to see a quilt made with Minky. Not sure I have yet.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 PM

I made a quilt with a minky back and ended up tying it. I could not get it to quilt right. (But patience is not my middle name) LOl
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh my goodness! I've been postponing sewing up a baby quilt from a Minky kit... because I'm afraid it'll be too hard to sew... My fears are now confirmed.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Yep do it all the time. If you are going to do line quilting just use a walking foot!

forgot to add that minky should be pin basted (or the like) don't spray it, it will get all wonky on ya. A little stretch as your laying our back out doesn't hurt either. Not stretched to the point that its tight but just till the wrinkles are out of it.

I also do my minky/plush backs way different than most people. I quilt my top and batting together, then I wash it (so it shrinks), then I baste it to the back and quilt only a couple lines to keep it from being baggy!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
Oh my goodness! I've been postponing sewing up a baby quilt from a Minky kit... because I'm afraid it'll be too hard to sew... My fears are now confirmed.
It is not hard at all, just use a walking foot. Sew slow and don't PULL the fabric through the sewing machine. you shouldn't have any trouble!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the tips all. Great idea to quilt the top and the batting together first! I would not have thought of that. This group is so smart!

Mary
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Just a thought... if it is only on one side (the back), could you quilt from the back so it wouldn't slide as much? I would love to see a quilt made with Minky. Not sure I have yet.
Here is the one I did for my daughter.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208896.jpe  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Here is the one I did for my daughter.
Wow, that Minky really makes the B&W stand out. Good job.