Cloth diapers

Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information and thank you for all the congratulations! My sister thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go with cloth diapers! Lol The main reasons I want to go with cloth is the price of disposables and the fact of putting all of them in the landfill. Also, it better for the baby's bottom.
I really need to start pinching pennies now because the price of day care is $10-$15 a hour. I don't make that at work so hubby and I decided that it would be best if I stayed home with the baby instead of returning back to work. Which is fine with me. Lol
I have some time off this weekend so I plan to tinker with a few patterns. Pictures to follow soon.
Thanks again everyone!
Kathleen
Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information and thank you for all the congratulations! My sister thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go with cloth diapers! Lol The main reasons I want to go with cloth is the price of disposables and the fact of putting all of them in the landfill. Also, it better for the baby's bottom.
I really need to start pinching pennies now because the price of day care is $10-$15 a hour. I don't make that at work so hubby and I decided that it would be best if I stayed home with the baby instead of returning back to work. Which is fine with me. Lol
I have some time off this weekend so I plan to tinker with a few patterns. Pictures to follow soon.
Thanks again everyone!
Kathleen
You will find that staying at home will be the greatest choice you have ever made. Every penny you pinch will feel much less like you are depriving your family when that little one smiles at you. This choice is not easy but so rewarding......Congratulations!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 AM

I think that the only skin sensitivity problem from using cloth diapers is from what kind of detergent you use and how many rinses you do to get the det OUT!

GOOD LUCK :)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Also important to change diaper when needed!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 AM

With my first son, I had originally planned on using cloth diapers, but my dad entered a contest and won a year's worth of free disposable diapers. I couldn't turn THAT down.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
Originally Posted by crkathleen
Thanks again everyone!
Kathleen
You will find that staying at home will be the greatest choice you have ever made. Every penny you pinch will feel much less like you are depriving your family when that little one smiles at you. This choice is not easy but so rewarding......Congratulations!
Congratulations!!!! I too believe that this is the best choice you can make! I stayed home with mine, we pinched pennies but I loved being there for them.
My daughter is due Jan 7 so she's only a week behind you!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM

I used cloth diapers for my 3 children 39, 31 and 15 years ago. Boy have disposable diapers changed. 39 years ago you still had to pin the disposables. 31 years ago they came with tape. 15 years ago it was reusable tape then they started with velcro. I only used disposable for travel. I worked and my mother in law watched the middle child and my sister in law watched the youngest. I provided them with cloth diapers to be kept at their house. When an uncle came here from England he brought with him some nappies. They were made from a terry cloth fabric. They were the most absorbent. I checked the patterns that others left in a link and terry cloth could be used in the absorbant centers. I really love those patterns. I wish I had known of that concept when mine were little. I have noticed that plastic pants to cover the diaper are hard to find now. I have looked for them recently and the options are limited and few. -- Congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Kas

Well, I thought I would go with cloth, but after trying to get breast milk poop of the first round, I decided I had better uses for my time! What a pain! And I really think it is a split on evironmental issues. With cloth you are really using more water which in some areas has become a real issue. Not to mention the extra chemicals going into the water supply. Around here they incinerate the garbage and the extra air scrubbers and such that are required now make that better for the environment than washing. That being said, I think babies with cloth on their hineys potty train quicker.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 PM

I used cloth diapers on both my sons. I got them at Walmart and they weren't that expensive. That's probably your best bet pricewise.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I used cloth diapers on my first child, thought I was saving money, saving the planet, etc. What a hassle! I switched to Pampers in about six months when all I did was wash diapers, empty pails, clean bedding every morning. Cloth was fine when she was teeny tiny but as she grew so did the mess. I used the fold your own and the pre fold. The cloth diapers if not changed immediately gave her a rash. I had to rinse the washed diapers at least twice, used a lot of water and time. I tried a diaper service; rash city. My second child I never once touched a cloth diaper. It's a matter of choice but for me it was a no brainer to choose the disposables. I remember Johnson and Johnson had the best disposables but they quit making them years ago.