Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 AM

Try paper piecing, it's great for getting points to match! Please don't give up; there's always a way round these problems.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 AM

Don't beat yourself up anymore. The cutting, figuring out what fits with what, etc. is one of the aspects that I love about quilting. I've always loved math and took every course in high school and college I could fit in. What will I do with that was the question I got from friends. Well it has served me well. A wonderful teacher once told me that even if I never used the applications math teaches your mind to be organized. That is very true. Please don't give up, walk away from it for awhile and let your mind relax. Sounds like you have an amazing wealth of talent, please don't give up. Okay? Sending big quilting hugs your way.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 AM

Think about the engine that could!!! I think I can, I think I can , I think I can.... .. And, you can!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 AM

If you rotary cut your pieces correctly. Stitch a consistant 1/4 seam. That leaves the pressing.
Are you ironing or pressing? Sounds to me you are 'ironing'
your quilt pieces, thus getting them all out of shape. You are overdoing it. Press your sections as you piece them. Square each section as you go. Use a dry iron and no ironing stuff.
Your points will line up and your blocks will be square.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 AM

Please don't give up! As suggested, you might try paper piecing. What about fusible applique? I'm rather new to quilting and have learned to PP using the freezer paper technique. I'm taking part in the Baltimore applique BOM and have learned to do the fusible applique and I just love doing it...prefer it over all other types of quilting.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 AM

PLEASE don't quit!!! I'm also one of those who always strives for perfection, but have learned to settle for my best. Please remember that the last person who was perfect could also walk on water!! Hang in there and you'll be surprised at how much you'll enjoy the results! Throw out the math books - this is supposed to be FUN!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM

You're being too hard on yourself. Back up and take a deep breath. "Expertise" comes with lots of practice, practice and more practice. Perhaps you've jumped the gun a little and have started with something that takes a little more experience. Take baby steps and work yourself into the more difficult blocks. Certainly don't quit. I know it's frustrating, but we've all been there. I was there last night. I was making a BOM for my guild and was about to pull out my hair. The points all came out fine, but the block is the wrong size. It's a Civil War block and was made using templates. I'm a strip piecer so those many little pieces were a nightmare to me. I know what went wrong, but it's all together and I'm not about to do anymore ripping. It's a basket block and the problem lies in the basket -- the pieces are too big. I would have needed to take larger seams (I had used a scant quarter inch). I have two choices: to make another block (will have to wait until all blocks are made to see if I have enough scraps to make another block; OR I can just cut off the points at top and bottom of the block. The sides are fine. And I think I will choose the latter. I'm not at "proud" as I used to be and it's just a quilt.

Good luck in your endeavors and kick back and enjoy the ride.

Bottom line is, you'll learn from doing and each one will be easier and better.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so I pin a lot. I use the very fine thin silk pins that I can even sew over if I want. However, I usually take the pin out just before the needle is ready to hit it. Pinning, especially at matched seems really keeps things lined up. I put a pin on either side of the seam. My sister never pinned anything, but she did not care if her seams did not line up.
I have found pinning to be crucial, too, and am doing my first quilt matching points and corners.
Getting those seems correct (slightly sly of 1/4 inch so the thread makes it 1/4 inch) but CONSISTENT.

I have had trouble figuring out whether I slide it one way or the other to correct my point. Still having trouble, but I am not giving up yet.

I also think that cutting ON THE grain and not even slightly off can help: cutting on the bias a the definition for trouble! Cutting across the grain means you have more stretch, so different cuts of the same fabric for the same pieces, can mean you have to make different adjustments for each seam...

Don't loose heart! This is not the easiest hobby!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:49 AM

I had a problem with matching my quilt pieces
only because I learned from a teacher who
taught me how to cut pieces using the mat.
Needless to say the quilt is still sitting waiting
to be altered.
Finally took classes at a quilt store and the
teacher taught me to use the ruler when I
measure and cut. All my pieces matched great.
Don't know which method you use...please don't
give up.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 AM

You CAN do it. Right now, those blocks are your nemesis. Put them away, even for a day. Maybe your pattern has too many seams for you. Can you do a different block? Relax. Check your 1/4 inch seam. Relax some more. Sleep well tonight. Try again tomorrow.