Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
imperfect quilt >

imperfect quilt

imperfect quilt

Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 AM

a friend did that and it was the most darling quilt
Old 06-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I have never set out to make an "imperfect" quilt - somehow I always manage to make a mistake or two, so it's imperfect, but not deliberate. I know that the Amish deliberately do something so the quilt is not perfect, as only God is perfect. Fortunately for me, I don't have to do an imperfect quilt deliberately. lol

I did one .for my sister to remind her we are not perfect. she was in her everything has to be perfect stage. got the message across in a nice way. now when she starts we ask were the lap quilt is and she laughs .

I would never, ever intentionally make a mistake (I agree with those who feel it's the opposite of humility), but a lot of my mistakes do get left in the finished project. I am currently working on a crib quilt that has a "moderate" mistake (it's not glaringly obvious, but it's also not tiny). When I post it here, I'll see if anyone else can spot it. :)

There are other mistakes I just sort of take as a learning experience and move on. My last quilt had some pretty amateurish-looking puffs and puckers on the top, because I hadn't stayed or starched the bias edges of my 1/4-square triangles. No way was I going to rip it out and start over, though, so I finished it the best I could and chalked it up to experience.

I have been crafting ever since I was a tiny little thing and even though I'm fairly talented, I still have plenty of "oops" moments. I'll fix the bad mistakes and the easily-fixable smaller mistakes. Everything else, I'll just suck it up and move on. :)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I agree.....only God is perfect, there are mistakes in each one of my quilts, some bigger than others.....I have enough to worry about, don't need God mad at me too !!!!!!
Love it, sooooo true!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM

I am a newbie so I have been practicing my 1/4 seams and getting my points together. Now I am getting a few blocks from practicing. Welllll, I am not going to waste them! So when I get enough of them I will sew them together for step two in my learning. BUT I will call this "A Miss Match
" quilt. What the heck.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 AM

When I used to do peyote and applique bead work, I would get upset if I didn't get my rows or my beading just so, perfect. One day while at a rendezvous we were sitting around killing time working on stuff during the day between trailshoots, I messed up an applique on a peice of leather. I was cussing and grumbling under my breath about needing to fix the whole row of beads now. My friend said to me, only God does perfect and you should always leave a little imperfection so your not trying to compete.
I still aim for perfect but don't stress it if it is not up to my definition of perfect.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 AM

I don't worry about making a quilt perfect -- if I did I would not ever finish anything. I always try -- and if it is practical to reverse sew, I do so.

I use the 5' rule for simple things like points (unless they are easy to fix), but I could make quilts out of the blocks where the color looked off with the rest of the quilt when I started putting them together. (Maybe that's where sampler quilts got started. LOL)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Banned

I read that in by-gone years, a "mistake" was deliberately put in every quilt - to remind the quilters who made it they are not perfect. They called it their "humility block".

Sooooo see --- You're just showing you are humble!!!! :lol:
Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I don't know of anyone who's perfect, I don't worry about it. Quilting is supposed to be fun, not stressful, and we all get better the longer we quilt.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: