Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

When trying to eliminate or minimize odors (from whatever source or cause) be aware that the original smell plus whatever one is trying to use to change/eliminate it - can sometimes make a more annoying smell than the one that one was trying to get rid of to start with.

So I would try whatever remedy with just a small amount of fabric before committing the whole bunch to something.

We'd bought a dresser (chest of drawers) at a second hand store once - it smelled a bit musty - so the people there sprayed it with Febreze. TRIPLE YUCK! Musty was bad, but musty plus Febreze was horrible.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:15 AM

There is a product called Odoban we got it online but you sometimes can find it at Home Depot. It is a deodorizer, sanitizer, disinfectant, mildewstat, and virucide. It works! I have used it now for a couple of years in the apartments we have when there have been smokers, also is a laundry refresher. That is so great that you got all that fabric and it was so sweet of her husband to give it to you.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Febreeze works well. If you cant wash it all now I would just wash it as you use it and when you get rain start washing the other fabric. I got 110 yards of fabric at a yard sale and it smelled of smoke and musty smell. Just plain washing got it out. I would love to send you some of our rain this year. We have already reached our normal year total. Tired of rain here.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I just got 9 yards of fabric at a garage sale that reeked of smoke. I just threw it in the washer with a cup of white vinegar and regular detergent and the smoke smell is gone.
I have also had success using white vinegar, even with fabrics with a musty smell. White vinegar is cheap & effective.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 AM

My husband recommends coffee grounds (unused ones). He drove semi truck years ago and when he would have to haul something that had a bad odor and it lingered in the van trailer. He would dump a can of coffee in it and shut the doors and in a couple days all the smell was gone. Of course, the price of coffee was a lot less in those days. Don't let the coffee get on the fabric, but just put some in a bowl in the box with the fabric and shut the box for a few days and see what happens.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 AM

Hi, white vinegar works for me.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 AM

I have heard to freeze it to get odor out. I haven't tried it, but you could put two or three grocery plastic bags inside each other and try in the freezer for a day and see what happens. I have had success myself with washing with oxyclean.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 AM

GOOD luck and hope it all comes out smelling sweet....
But maybe you could call one of those companies that go in and clean behind fires and floods and they could tell you something...I think one name is ...Serve - pro..or something like that.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Go to a commercial laundramat and wash in big batches.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
I got a good suggestion put it all back into the contraners it was given in and run a ad in the papper to give it all away to a smoker that Quilts. I smoke and I know that if I should pass on that I would want my DH to make sure my Stash and Notions
will go to a Quilter that want mind the smell and just love my stash as much as I did and be greatful for getting it all. There is
still a bunch of smoking quilters out there that would love to own that poor womens stash, wish you luck with it :-D
I am one of those also; a smoking quilter. I have sachets in my closet where I store my fabrics. I put a dryer sheet in a plastic bag w/finished quilted items. Any smoke odor comes out. I'll take that fabric off your hands if you want. :D