Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM

without washing it - I dont know...
I did put books in a little room......and brewed pots of strong coffee to take the musty smell out of books....had to fan out the books.... It might work for fabric.
Washing.... - I know that GAIN detergent is good for taking out the smoky smell.
Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM

without washing it - I dont know...
I did put books in a little room......and brewed pots of strong coffee to take the musty smell out of books....had to fan out the books.... It might work for fabric.
Washing.... - I know that GAIN detergent is good for taking out the smoky smell.
Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 AM

When my first DH was longline fishing, the boat and crew would be out in the Atlantic for 2 weeks at a time. You can imagine the smell on his clothes....well, I took everything to the laundramat along with All detergent and a jar of Colgate Toothpaste/w water (this looked like flour and water you would make gravy with) that I added to the loads. Seems the toothpaste has sodium lauryl sulfate in it and that's what does the trick. And believe me, it worked every time.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 AM

White vinegar will take ot odors and also some age or fold stains, great laundry additive. I use Gain detergent which has Febreeze in it. There is also a product called Odo-ban, I purchase this at Sam's in gallons and dillute to spray for animal and trash odors but use some full strength in laundry that reeks, works great.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by caspoohbear
I have tried all the tricks I've seen and have had no success. I still have a pile that I'm waiting til I have a front load maybe steam washer to try one more time, but I haven't been able to successfully use any of it. Even if I were making something for a smoker, I can spend more than five minutes working with it because I'm immediately sneezing. Maybe the Texas sun could clean it out on the line, but then you'll have fading to deal with. Good luck!

Washing in oxyclean doesn't take the yello color and odor out? Baking soda didn't work? Rinsing in vinegar didn't work?

Send me the stuff. I get the smell out-----------EVERY TIME!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
Oxyclean but use 3 scoops per load...that ought to do the trick. Congrats on your find!
I always use Oxyclean and a bunch of it. More than 3 scoops if the color and odor is bad. I just didn't say in my post that I used GOBS of it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
Oxyclean but use 3 scoops per load...that ought to do the trick. Congrats on your find!
I always use Oxyclean and a bunch of it. More than 3 scoops if the color and odor is bad. I just didn't say in my post that I used GOBS of it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 AM

Sometimes a bar of Irish Spring Soap will help. Put the fabric in a plastic bag with the bar soap and let it set for a couple of weeks.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 AM

What a wonderful find, I have found a sheet of fabric softener often helps get the smell out of things. Have not tried it on smoke but they are not expensive so it might be worth a try, I know by experience it works on things that are musty from a damp basement or just being closed up for a lenth of time. Hope this helps you .
Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 AM

What a sweet thing for that gentelman to have done for you. He must have know how important that stuff was to his wife and that she would want someone to have it that loved it to.
The following is a solution from planetgree.com it says this should remove the smell. Have never tried it but it is worht a shot.

Luckily for all of us, there are ways to remove cigarette odor that don't require heavy laundering or expensive product-buying.

Fill your bath with hot water. Just an inch of water or so should do the trick.
Add four cups of vinegar to the bath.
Hang your smoky clothing above the bath.
Shut the door to the bathroom. This will allow for steam to develop and linger.
Let the steam do its work! Steam from vinegar water has long been shown to remove odors, like smoke, from clothing.