Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Our quilt store says to mix half cheap vodka and half water in spray bottle and spray the fabric. Says it takes smoke or any other odor out every time and that it works on all surfaces.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

You came across a fantistic find, but like it happens sometimes, the gift may come with conditions - in this case cigarette smoke. I like the dryer sheet idea and have used it a couple of times. I used to smoke and didn't realize how bad the cigarette smoke reeked until I quit. I started to make a cheater cloth quilt for my daughter and could not stand the odor, so I had to wash every piece of fabric I had in my bedroom. However, since you are having a drought and would prefer to ration your water usage, I owuld suggest letting it air out, fabric softener sheets and time.

I am in the process of making this year's family reunion quilt, didn't have enough in my stash for a backing and no money to buy any fabric. When I moved from a house to a 2 bedroom apt., my best friend "inherited" most of my stash and she remembered a large piece of blue fabric with ducks that she knew would be large enough. I didn't bother to smell the fabric, since I'm no longer a smoker, however, her roommate is. I had dampened the fabric to make it easier to iron and then the cigarette smell became evident. It's too late at night to wash it, I'm on a tight deadline, so picture me washing 9 yards of fabric (in 3 yr. pieces) in my kitchen sink with Dawn with the orange scent. I draped the fabric between the safety bars in the tub, spritz the fabric with Febreeze fabric spray and crossed my fingers. In the morning the fabric was just damp enough to press and the smoke smell was gone. So, in my case, Dawn detergent, orange flavor and Febreeze did the trick. Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Now that's something I'm going to write down for future reference. Interesting combination that I'm going to try next time.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 AM

if you can't wash right now hang it on the line and spray it with fabreeze really good and let air dry a couple of days or so. of course hang wrong side of material up so it won't get sun on the good side. my sister and son were both smokers and never opened the house so when i went there i had her sons room and had to spray the pillow and bedding everythinggg and opened the windows day and night a couple of days and that worked. it was so strong i thought i would have to sleep outside in the cold or the car and that was after my other sisters and husbands washed the walls and all before i got there. good luck on your quest. Ravonda
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Funny story about the cow eating it and spitting it out. You might try a baking soda wash solution when you get water.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM

White vinegar in your wash works.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Yep I agree white vinager should help. And congrats on your good lkuck
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

LMBO!!! Hungry cow!!! I really needed that chuckle - grew up on a farm and my mother would probably make steaks out of any cow that tried to eat anything on her clothesline!!!

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM

It simply has to be washed no other way. Add Arm & Hammer baking soda (You'll need several large boxes) but it will work. The washing is the only way. Get a couple of friends and hit the laundromat. They have big tables for folding too.

Now, if you're donating it, they won't mind washing it if they know the story and expect it to reek. It's worth it to most of them and if not, find another recipient.

I just went through the same thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Put the fabric in a bag or box and layer it with newspaper. Leave it for a couple of weeks. It should remove the smell.