Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM

How could you waste that good vodka? :-D
Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 PM

I had a quilt come in once that just reeked of cigarette smoke. I closed it up in a plastic tote with lots of pieces of Irish Spring soap wrapped loosely in paper towels..it took nearly a month before I could finally stand to take it out and get it quilted but it did work..
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I used Arm & Hammer baking soda. And Febreeze works too.
Although I never smoke in the house I do occasionally smoke in my car. I always have a spray can of Febreez so i don't go into where ever I am smelling like an ashtray. It is just till you can get to washing it when the rain finally comes. Enjoy your find (she would have wanted u too)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Try vinegar in your water.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I'd take it to a commercial laundry with all their huge machines.
My thoughts exactly. I love garage sale finds but IMHO, fabrics need to be washed first. You never know where they have been stored. My DMIL's house was closed up for a time and we used liquid Lysol with the anti-bacteria notation on the label. It took out the mildew smell.

piney
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
How could you waste that good vodka? :-D
:thumbup:
Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I have always been awed by the garage and estate sale finds that are posted on this board. I figure I would never experience that since I rarely make it to garage sales, especially first thing in the morning before they are picked over. My cousin-in-law is a master garage saler and called me a couple of weeks ago to ask about a sewing machine she was looking at. I went over to give her some advice and when the man who was holding the sale heard that I was a quilter, he said "follow me" and led us into the garage where he had boxes and garbage bags stuffed with fabric, quilt tops, rulers, dozens of books, thread, etc that belonged to his late wife. He had tears in his eyes and said "I knew a quilter would come along today--just take it all please". Free!!!!!. His daughter picked out the finished tops to keep--that's all she wanted of the stash. I paid $20 for an oak quilt rack. His only request was that any fabric I didn't want to keep be donated in his wifes name, Sharmaine.

Sadly they were both smokers and the fabric reeks. I laided it out on my hammock and every other piece of furniture on the porch to air out for days. There are hundreds of yards (many 6-8 yard cuts) so it couldn't be completely unfolded as I didn't have the room. Because of our severe drought and the time it would take, I can't wash it all. So I have 5 bins packed with sorted and folded fabric. I placed 3-4 bars of deoderant soap in each bin. I will have to wash a load at a time when we get rain and our rainwater tank is full again. I don't feel that I can donate any with the smell and I don't want to use it that way either.

Any tips on what products to use and how to wash it to get the smoke smell out? I can hang the lighter-colored fabrics on the clothesline in the sun after washing but don't want to fade the brights. I did a test with one white piece and hung it up for a few days without washing. Don't know if the smell went away as a cow pulled it off, chewed it up and spit it out--yuck!!! :roll: :roll:
LOL! I am a farner's daughter! No telling what cows will eat! Well that experiment went over the hill fast!
What I wanted to tell you was Fabreeze does wonders in removing smoke odors. I think it comes in a spray bottle. But you have such a lot of yardage! The sun has nothing to do with taking out the smoking odor. It will help with mildew. I was thinking vinegar! Try mixing vinegar in plain water in a tub, rinsing the fabric in it,and hanging it out, until it is dry, cloudy for colors, although the sun won't fade them that fast... and then eventually/soon washing the fabric in the machine.
That deoderant soap should help, but you might want to unfold the fabric and crumple it, depends if the smoke had penetrated the centers of the folds.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM

I use baking soda in the wash and also sometimes use white vinegar which helps to take out the odor. Haven't tried Febreze since I haven't had any that smelled lately.

My sister and BIL used to smoke as well as my brother and his wife. Everything they would share with you reaked with smoke.

I am not critizing those who smoke, because if I could have afforded it when I was young I probably would be doing it today. No not really as I still can't afford it. LOL I remember going fishing with my brother when we were kids, he was slipping and smoking and I asked him for a puff off the cigarette he had. He said, "No, if I do, you will tell Mama and Daddy" Of course, I said, "No I won't! Well to be honest, I lied to him as I begin to feel quilty and told on both of us. Rest assured he didn't trust me anymore to keep a secret. LOL Can't really blame him could I?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM

I had a fire in 1998 we got all the smoke smell out of our cloth stuff with a cup of Gain liquid and a cup of white vinegar .... it
worked so good .......just do a little at a time till you get it all... good luck and make the cow a bonnet and post pics of her ......lol
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by callie
You can put them in the dryer on frenshen load or something similar to that - depending on your dryer -- I would put a fabric sheet with it tho.
A friend and I received a quilt top that was made by a heavy smoker and we had to get the odor out - no way we could give it to fire victims that way & we just freshed it in the dryer and it worked! Better than having to wash it all right now and certainly worth the try.
Don't know that I'd put smoke soaked fabric in a dryer. I'd be afraid of setting the yellow smoke color into the fabric.