Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM

I used Oxyclean on smoky fabrics I bought and it worked great.
No perfume in the unscented Oxyclean either.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
What a sweet thing for that gentelman to have done for you. He must have know how important that stuff was to his wife and that she would want someone to have it that loved it to.
The following is a solution from planetgree.com it says this should remove the smell. Have never tried it but it is worht a shot.

Luckily for all of us, there are ways to remove cigarette odor that don't require heavy laundering or expensive product-buy.

Fill your bath with hot water. Just an inch of water or so should do the trick.
Add four cups of vinegar to the bath.
Hang your smoky clothing above the bath.
Shut the door to the bathroom. This will allow for steam to develop and linger.
Let the steam do its work! Steam from vinegar water has long been shown to remove odors, like smoke, from clothing.
What an interesting solution for the problem. I will have to try that on some of the fabric--will help prevent thread tangling in the washer with the smaller cuts and I can save the washing machine for the larger cuts. Can even use my canning and stock pots to boil water for a lot of steam. As humid as it has been here, it shouldn't be to tough to make steam (LOL). Can even recycle the water for several loads and then use it on my stinky dogs!
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
LMBO!!! Hungry cow!!! I really needed that chuckle - grew up on a farm and my mother would probably make steaks out of any cow that tried to eat anything on her clothesline!!!

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
I know--my Granny, too!! These cows are almost pets now, so can't just go out and shoot them! Luckily I hadn't hung a bunch of fabric out.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM

I don't know how to get the
smoke smell out, but just
wanted to say how happy I am
for you to get all that fabric
for free. Hugs, Sharon
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM

I am a longarm quilter and occasionally get a quilt from a smoker. I hang the quilt top, the backing, and the batting over a line in my garage for a couple of weeks and it usually gets the smoke smell out pretty well.
The only other thing I know is washing it all with white vinegar, which of course, you can't do right now.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Grambi, I purchased many yards of gorgeous fabric from a lady who was selling it for her mother's care. Of course, the care she needed was a direct result of smoking, and the fabrics reflected the odor. I brought them home, bagged them tightly with deoderant soap bars, and then washed the fabrics as my time allowed with detergent and vinegar. I allowed each load to soak overnight before finishing the load, double rinsing, and drying. As many as possible, I tried to airdry. The odor of smoke is gone. Good luck in your endeavors to remove the odor.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Try washing it with arm & hammer laundry detergent. It works well for other odors.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM

I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT I AM A SMOKER. PEOPLE SAY YOUR QUILTS SMELLS SO GOOD . HERE IS MY SOLUTION . 2 cups distiled water , 2 ounces cheap vodka , and 10 - 15 drops of 100 percent essential oil of lavender . ( available at health food stores . good luck terri
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM

I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT I AM A SMOKER. PEOPLE SAY YOUR QUILTS SMELLS SO GOOD . HERE IS MY SOLUTION . 2 cups distiled water , 2 ounces cheap vodka , and 10 - 15 drops of 100 percent essential oil of lavender . ( available at health food stores . good luck terri put in spray bottle
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM

What I have found, is to put charole bricks in an air tight container with the fabric. The charcole bricks suck up the smell. I have also used vinegar with my wash detergent, on gentle. Either one of these will get that smell out.