Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moratorium Update – July 2011 >

Fabric Moratorium Update – July 2011

Fabric Moratorium Update – July 2011

Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Don't tink I am doing very well. While I am definately using up stash, to make quilts for people and animals, I have bought some new fabric yesterday. Ok, here goes, my name is Victoria and I am a fabriholic. That was my first step. I am trying. I have not bought as much as I would have last year. I have even given away doubles of my stuff to the ASG neighborhood group I belong to. We bought a small sewing storage box and I filled it up with most of my stuff.
We only had to buy 5 pieces out of the 36 pieces we stocked the box with. Feels good.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:28 AM

Yesterday, I bought 3--1/4 meter pieces of fabric for a border. It was on sale and I used my LQS card so the cost was low. I am so proud of myself because I am staying within my budget and using up my stash.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I am only working on projects that use what I own. If I get to the point that I can't make something with what I have left, I will then consider buying fabric, but not unless I get to that point. I have not bought fabric, for one month, today.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM

I fell off the wagon....in a BIG way!! Went to the big annual sale of a LQS yesterday with an enabling friend of mine. In my defense, I was spending birthday money given to me by my father, but I went beyond that. I saw a table upon table of gorgeous fabrics at 40% off and all bets were off. I bought enough of each to use as backings for charity quilts. And remnants were an extra 10% off...too much for one human to resist!! We went and had lunch to recover, then went to yet another LQS that she had never been to. I was a little better in this store, but...oh well....there's always August!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:54 PM

The only fabric I've purchased since Nov. has been used for backing, and eventually I'll need buy batting, but so far,so good (or bad, however one looks at it) There'll be a huge temptation the 1st week of Aug, at which time the Lowell Quilt Festival takes place. Usually a great time to shop various vendors who come from across the country, so that will be tough to resist! But resist I will, because after a recent inventory, it's ridiculous the amount of fabric here, and even crazier is all the fabric I'd forgotten about. It's making me ill!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Our guild is having a class by Harriet Hargrave in August. I have known for months she was coming and had planned for it. I will need to purchase a book, batting and specialty threads I don't have but figured there would be things on the supply list I would need.
I am so excited about this class. She will be teaching FMQ for domestic machines. I've wanted to get better at FMQ for a long time. I can do stippling and meandering very well, this will be the next step.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

OK, I went to Beverly's today to buy the border fabric for the next Round Robin. Nothing, I mean NOTHING I had even remotely worked with the colors, and since I had NO say in the color choice, who's to blame a girl for needing to go fabric shopping.

....and Connecting Threads DID have a 30% off on thread which I love and which I needed some more neutral. I mean, after all, neutral is ALWAYS necessary.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 AM

I posted some pics of a past and some current projects. They are at: http://quiltingboard.com/t-140876-1.htm
Everything came from my stash.
Thanks for looking. K
Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM

August's update can be found here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141467-1.htm
Old 07-31-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Has my quilting buddy been talking to you? After seeing my stash, she ordered me not to purchase any more fabric until I use what I have. I haven't been quilting that long so I didn't think my stash was that large, but maybe it is.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I used only the fabric in my stash for my last two projects! And you know what? It's kind of a good feeling! :D
Update! When I posted the above, I made two projects entirely using fabric, batting and thread from my stash. I'm happy to say I've completed two more projects using what I currently have. The projects have been small. One wall hanging, two table runners and one apron.