Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made. >

Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made.

Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:57 AM

I couldn't find the exact site I was talking about but this one is just like what I found. Wild Onion Studio. wildonionstudio.wordpress. You can type it in & it will pop up quite a few sites to check out. All are basically the same.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 AM

My husband and I made and covered big ironing boards as a service for our local guild. Here is picture.

If you use 40-50% off coupons from Jo-Ann's, your board will cost around $30.

I buy Drill from Jo-Ann's. Don't forget to ask for your 10% guild discount if you don't use a coupon. You will need 68" of fabric.

24" wide plywood board - 60" x 24"
Drill - cut 66" x 30"
Warm and Natural batting - cut 64" x 28"

Keep the Drill that you cut off. Cut in sections and use on top of your board in the area which gets the most use. It is extra protection for your cover if you press seams while piecing in one particular area of the board.

Press the fabric giving attention to the fold. Do not spray with water. Don't ever wash Drill. It shrinks and the wrinkles won't iron out.

Use an electric staple gun with 3/8" staples. Take staples out with a screwdriver.

Staple batting first. Cut off the corners of the batting diagonally allowing fold over onto the board. Gather around the corners and staple.

Staple the cover on along the selvage edge first starting in the middle. Pull the fabric taut lengthwise as you staple toward the ends. Next staple the other side folding under the edge so it covers the padding. (It may need to be trimmed.) Be sure to pull it taut across the width and length when stapling.

Staple the short ends starting in the middle of the end and keeping the fabric taut while stapling. Trim the corners, fold under, and make three folds on each side of the right angle. Staple.

I keep an extra length of Drill on top of my padded board, so I don't have to change the cover. :lol:

Big board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221219[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-221213.jpe  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the websites to help make one. I know what DH will be doing for me soon! hehehe
Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Dh made mine. I love it! More Fun to make one than buy one
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 AM

I made mine. I used the fiberboard peg board so steam would not soak into wood. I bought a 2' x 4' piece of pegboard, framed it with 1"x 2" pine, covered it with ironing board fabric. I have a folding table mine fits on so that it is well supported on all corners. My ironing board is getting a little wobbly and I didn't want to use it or replace it yet. I just stapled all the pieces together with a heavy duty stapler. It works great and was so easy to make.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:32 AM

i have used a hollow core door, better frame less weight.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 AM

I made my own. Home depot or lowes will do the cut free and you just put batting and the ironing board cover material. I used a stable gun to attach it love it
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

I made one that I use on a table, not the ironing board. I had a scrap of plywood that I squared and padded with an old blanket and then cotton batting. For the top I used unbleached muslin. Works great when you need a larger ironing space.

sassy granny
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM

SLK350 made one for me, it's AWESOME, we get together every other week, (a whole group of us in Ft. Myers, anyone live close and want to join us?) the big board certainly works out, we even use it to lay blocks out on. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
here is one I made...I showed each step on my blog. Have fun!

http://bzyqltr.blogspot.com/2007/01/...-new-year.html
Your tutorial is a great help. Thank you for posting. Nothing in my home is the right height for me but the ironing board. Now I can improve it.

( I learned to iron on my mother's wooden ironing board and now use DH's Granny's board. Ours were, and still are, padded with reused textiles--old spreads, tablecloths, drapes, etc. and covered with worn cotton sheets. Mom used huge safety pins to hold the top cover snug yet easily removable for laundering. Not one of us would have ever imagined purchasing new goods to pad or cover a board. Old days, old ways.)