Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide between machine  quilitng or hand quilting or both? >

How do you decide between machine quilitng or hand quilting or both?

How do you decide between machine quilitng or hand quilting or both?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Hi all,
I love to do handwork. I took a few handquilting classes and loved them. Perhaps because work gets into my way and my after-work energy isn't the greatest, I haven't really done much in the way of any kind of quilting. I'm great at starting projects, though.

A friend of mine has the sitdown Sweet Sixteen machine. Looks like a really neat machine. She does incredible work with it but is very modest about her efforts. My art instructor only does hand quilting on the quilts she creates - works on them at night.

I am looking ahead at early retirement in about four years. I've wondered about getting a sweet sixteen then, or a machine with a larger harp or just sticking with hand quilting.

How do I decide? (I do have lots of time to decide). Practice with each technique? I don't know if any of you remember the old Girl Scout badge - the dabbler. You dabbled in all kinds of different arts and crafts to get it. It was my favorite badge. Sometimes I think I'm destined to just keep dabbling and not settling down.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance,
lots2do
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM

One word: speed. If I need it done fast, I use the machine. Anything else, I sew by hand.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 PM

I used to do all quilting by hand because I didn't know how to machine quilt. Last winter I learned to FMQ and I love it, it is just fun to me. I have been quilting everything in sight. I'm certainly no expert but I like what I do. I will probably never hand quilt again.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

I like to do both. The "utility" quilts that I give to people that are intended for heavy use, I machine quilt. The "heirloom" quilts that I hope will be carefully tended, I hand quilt.

The nice thing is, you can have two projects going at once, and just work on the one that is most appealing at the time.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Well seeings how I literally stink at handsewing of any type, but am a pro on the sewing machine, hands down all of my quilting is done by machine. I have even :gasp: perfected a method to machine sew my bindings down. I will be taking a class & learning FMQ sometime this summer & can't wait to be able to do more that SID & straight stitch quilting.

Having said that - I greatly admire those of you who do hand sewing & quilting. You are keeping the art alive and deserve great kuddos for doing that. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Machine. I handquilted one quilt about 12 yrs ago...that did it for me. Didn't think about quilting again until a few years ago but now it's done on the machine. I like thread painting embellishments on my art quilts as well as hand embroidery - which I love to do.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I have a longarm and I hand quilt. My LA is a stand up model. When I am feeling really tired after work I do hand quilting. To me it is so relaxing and doesn't take any energy at all to do. I LA on weekends and evenings where I do have energy after work. I think I will always do both. To me the two forms are so different and the results are so different that I would never limit myself to just one or the other.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM

If I need something done quickly or if I am just stitching in the ditch, I use my machine. Otherwise I hand quilt most things. I can ball it up in my lap while I watch tv in the evening with my husband.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Thank you - I guess being a dabbler is not such a bad thing. I'd like to practice my machine quilting in August when my class is over and I'll have more down time. The machine decisions can certainly wait. Who knows what dandy machines will be around in four or five years? I married to a planner and I think after this long, it's rubbing off on me!
And...I'll piece something to hand quilt.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM

I like the thrift of keeping things simple, so I doubt I'll ever do anything but handquilt. It also keeps my fabric purchasing down, since it takes so frakkin' long to finish a quilt. ;)