Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creativity >

Creativity

Creativity

Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Have never made a quilt and only recently joined the forum. As I've stated I'm not good with the computer and it took me 3 days to read all the help topics and rules.

I've studied "quilting" on the internet, read books and magazines, asked questions, and done practice blocks till I'm blue in the face. I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together. When I look at color charts I can see how one would compliment another but then find that that's not necessarily a good combination for a particular quilt. HELP!!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Some people follow patterns, some will make a few alterations, some totally wing it.

Keep asking questions, reading, observing :D If we could all do this for every quilt we make, patterns would be totally unnecessary :D:D:D
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

it just takes time-practice- suggestions- advice- and sometimes the help of a color wheel.

all that being said-
look at nature-
in nature colors you would (think) could never be together go together wonderfully- look at the sky- if you tried to paint it = it would look- fake- but if is not fake it is beautifully painted!

i used to always have to ask the guys in the family to pull fabrics for me for a new quilt- they seemed so good at it= then dog-gone it they grew up and moved away- leaving me to have to figure it out all by myself-
one thing that can help is to do what other (artists) do=
disregard color- use a gray scale- and design your quilt using VALUES- without worry about color-
as in...separate your fabrics according to light-medium-dark---sometimes i will lay out my fabrics with a couple inches of each showing and take a picture- then print it in grayscale- if a fabric does not (work) it becomes quite evident.
and all colors/prints can go into a quilt together as long as the values are balanced. with time you will find it easier and easier to choose fabrics.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks. Going to the only fabric store in our little town today and will try to find something I like.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Follow what you like. I'm on my third civil war quilt now doing a block of the month. Each month I go to class and a teacher that I have the upmost respect for and love her work has picked out the fabric for the month. It's a good thing that she said early on that we make the block in the colors we want. Because I do. I have such a collection of reproduction fabrics (I do stay true to that part of the class) and I lay the colors out; sometimes take a digital picture of them together and pick out the ones I like together. Sometimes I use the ones chosen by my teacher other times I use only the ones I already have. Point is; be true to your self. Most people like certain colors together; like I like green and purples together; others may not. That is the great thing about quilting; you can let the creative side of you come thru; even if you didn't know you had one. It'll all work out. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 AM

I think it will come with time.. the more you practice the better you will be just like with everything else in life.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 AM

What is gray scale?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 AM

don't overthink it. quilting is supposed to be fun. none of us is perfect to begin with. with each new quilt you will learn something. just start a simple one. and have fun. :)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:21 AM

When I get stuck or in grid lock on colors , I look at magazines ( most home dec) for color combinations I find interesting. I also look at what occurs naturally gardens, fall leaves,etc.
Many many times its a single fabric I fall in love with , and then coordinate with other fabrics, pulling the colors of the fabric into the project. Experiment with the bolts in the store .. stask them up and then stand back about 6 ft. the ones that don't belong will become apparent. A few things that help in picking the "stack" find a good mix of dark , light and medium coodinates. Having a quilt of all one canl read or appear to "lacking something".
Over time the confidence will come... and yes there will be some projects that will fall in the "What was I thinking" category ...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 AM

I really like the wedding ring quilt. Recently I saw an easy version; does this sound like a good one to begin with?