Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do?  Bugs in ordered fabric >

What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric

What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM

I received a very nice email this morning from the shop owner. Seems the person who monitors those emails was on vacation last week, and the email did not get checked.

She apologized profusely, and offered to replace the fabric. She said she personally cut my fabric from the store stock, and that it had not been stored anywhere outside of the store shelf. She also said she did not notice anything on the plastic bag she put the fabric in.

She also said she hoped this did not reflect badly on the shop or her staff and that they would never, ever knowingly send something out like that.

I wrote her back and told her that her email was validation enough, and that I was keeping the fabric because it appears it is fine. Once again, I told her I just wanted her to know what happened so they could check their supplies.

All is well, and I will probably shop there again because I'm betting this won't happen again! LOL Besides, they have a lovely site and blog, and I was happy to find the fabric I was looking for.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Glad that you got a satisfactory reply!

All's well that ends well... :-)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MonnaL
Still no word back on my SECOND email. I just have to assume that they are not going to respond at all. Maybe they just don't care. .
If they are a really small outfit they may have closed for vacation so you might want to give them a week or so to see if they respond before you give up on them.

OOPs, I see you got an answer from them.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM

YES!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM

This thread is making me itch!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MonnaL
I have a dilemma. I ordered some fabric online, and the service was very speedy, and the fabric is just what I wanted.

When I opened the package, the fabric was wrapped in a plastic bag (like from a grocery store) and was covered with bug egg cases and bug feces. Nothing alive, thank goodness.

Unfortunately, I opened this package over my kitchen table and this stuff scattered everywhere. I ran outside with everything and dumped it in the trash and then came in and decontaminated my table and floor around it.

I honestly believe the contamination was in the envelope it was sent in (a flat rate priority one). I shook the fabric out really well and didn't see any on the fabric.

Should I write her and tell her she might want to check her envelopes, or just not ever order there again? What would you do? I do not want to give the fabric up - it's OOP and hard to find.
Inscects in imported fabrics is a big problem that is not talked about very much! I know that some stores have a little decontamination room. Did you keep and wash the fabric?
One solution to "Imported bugs" is to put the package in the freezer for 24 hours or longer to kill the bugs and then open it and wash the fabric.