Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really? >

People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really?

People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 AM

depending on the top fabric, the design i have paid as little as 75.00 and up to 200 . then i go pick the backing meet with the LAQ and do the binding, I don't understand half of what I read so if i think its over my head I'll go shopping if I love it i'll have it, although I do alot of sewing myself, sometimes directions are to difficult for me. I have also bought handmade quilt blocks Life is difficult for me the last 6 months so this makes it easier
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I just bought one for $35.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I make custom quilt tops for people (especially Amish and Mennonite) all the time and I get much, much more than is suggested here. But, then I have been doing it a long, long time and past customers refer others, etc. No advertising needed.
Yes, but are you talking about piecing or quilting? Aren't they bringing you their pieced tops and you're quilting them?
No, I am not quilting them. I am piecing tops for them in a pattern and colors of their choice. The Amish quilt them and sell at their auctions or in their shops.

Other people either have them machine quilted or sometimes they just want to quilt themselves. If they order a whole quilt, then I make different arrangements to either do it myself or send it out.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I just bought one for $35.
Lucky you! I would not sell mine for this but have seen some great pieces at estate sales etc. Sometimes if they're left behind people just don't know what to do with them. My dear friend just passed away and I found 4 UFO's and finished them for her 4 children.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 AM

I am still learning. Practice, practice makes you better. I had a few tops of mine own to start on. I have done 5 quilts so far and getting ready to put another on the frame soon. But I still have lots to learn.[/quote]

This is me too.. I am still in the learning phase of my frame, it is not a long arm, only 9 inch throat but is so true, find someone learning and they will quilt them for less as practice, practice, practice is the only way to get better. So then they could be really nice ones for donations also, as I have 2 I used as practice that are donation quilts. I have only done 5 so far and have one more about ready for the frame. So I am far away from the 3000 that some long armers have done.. lol With each one I get better.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM

I'm in the process of making a baby quilt and have easily spent $30 on the fabric alone and most of it was on sale. There is no way I'd let one of my tops go for that little.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM

There are many reasons someone may need to sell their quilt tops. Because we know the time and costs involved in making them, we may have a more realistic idea of what is a "fair" price to pay. I have often bought tops off ebay, either to practice my handquilting, or because they were beautiful versions of some of my favorite patterns. I have gladly paid as much as $200 (so far), and send the seller a thank you note with a picture of the finished quilt.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I too thought this was nuts, but I recently met a lady that bought tops because piecing made her nervous. She'd asked me if I wanted to sell mine! Heavens no! Not at the prices she pays. She's told me shes never gave more than $25 for a top! I cant make one for that.
YEP..and you can bet she is telling all of her friends that SHE made that quilt...AND she probably sells them for huge profit...profit that the piecer should be making.

Sadly you can sell tops, but you will NEVER get the money out of it that you put into it!
Take this formula...the cost of the materials to make the top, the pattern, thread, needle, rotary blade, multiply that by 2 and then add 25%! THAT is what you would sell it for...now..did you come up with a price anyone would pay?

I have $270 into the materials I need for a King size DWR...it will take approx 80 hours to make this top! I would have to sell the top for $800+...would you buy it for that???
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 AM

I saw more unfinished quilt tops for purchase than ever before at Verna's Fabric in Mifflinburg PA. Tops were available in a large variety of patterns as well with different fabric choices. Since piecing is my favorite part of the quilt process, I wasn't interested. However Verna did say she sells lots of them.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 AM

I cannot imagine anyone selling their unquilted tops even for the price of the fabric, especially to a person or organization that will sandwich them, quilt them, then sell for an amount 2 to 5 times the cost of what you put into it. I would rather give my tops away than have someone become wealthy ot my expense. We are told to: "Do unto others as they would do unto you." What I would do is commission my tops for a percentage of the selling price over my cost & time, as an example double my first quote. Fair? I think so.

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I make custom quilt tops for people (especially Amish and Mennonite) all the time and I get much, much more than is suggested here. But, then I have been doing it a long, long time and past customers refer others, etc. No advertising needed.
Yes, but are you talking about piecing or quilting? Aren't they bringing you their pieced tops and you're quilting them?