Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Calling all "ladies of a certain age" >

Calling all "ladies of a certain age"

Calling all "ladies of a certain age"

Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 PM

OK, I'm talking the big "M"..menopause, I've been "in it" for several years and I thought the hot flashes and night sweats were bad enough, but now for some reason my body has decided to "sweat" and I mean excessively! I'm talking wringing wet from head to toe many times a day. I'm not daibetic and my thyroid levels are OK (I am taking Synthroid for this). Has this happened to any of you? What on earth is a person to do...I am actually thinking about HRT and a few years ago I said I would never do that, too many side affects and yet, this has me reconsidering...I need your help!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 PM

eat soy beans, they really help.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Yes it is very embarassing. the back of my head has recently started sweating so that it looks like I have just gotten out of the shower! It is terrible.I Just posted to sympathize with you, I have no solution.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:21 PM

If you were here in Florida, I would suspect the weather had something to do with it, but probably not there! Check with your doctor.
I was on a low dose hrt for many years because the doctor said the benefits for me far outweighed the risk. It helps protect your bone mass too. For me, with all the problems I have with my back it was great. I could sure tell a difference when I quit taking them. I wish I had never stopped!

I know exactly what your talking about.If you find a answer please share it with me.

I was having hot flashes pretty bad, I started drinking soy milk and taking a 400IU Vitamin E every day (in addition to already taking Black Cohosh, flax oil and ground flax seed). Well the hot flashes stopped!! I have my fingers crossed that it is not a temporary hormone fluctuation, but it has been over a month. It is so nice to sleep through the night again, esp. in this hot weather.

I am going to keep drinking the soy milk and will be looking for some soy flour as well my next grocery trip.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 PM

Oh I do know how you feel I had a very early hysterectomy due to cancer in my very early 20s and HRT was in it's experimental stage and didn't really help. Years later I took it. for 10 years, to counteract Osteoporosis and due to that I managed to get over the early stages of it and now my bone density is "about normal" for my age, whatever that means. For that reason alone I would recommend any ladies to go on a HRT course, thro' their physician of course.

As far as the sweats are concerned I still get them, at night, due to pain medication and am in the process of making my own special bedding! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135929-1.htm it helps me at night as the sheets don't stick to me and the quilted ones soak up the sweat and makes me more comfortable.

I hope you discuss it with your Doctor as I know a lot of people swear by natural remedies but there is not a lot of proof that they help and as far as the Osteoporosis danger is concerned as far as I know only HRT helps, and taking regular doses of Glucosamine tablets, again the Doctor may prescribe them for you my Doc does.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM

I didn't realize that Soy milk was good for that. I might give it a try. thanks,
Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 PM

try for 1-2 cups a day. I get my supermarket house brand, it is good enough to drink straight.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Administrator

if you have a thyroid condition, please consult your doctor before starting any regimen that is based on soy.

i recall reading something that said too much soy is not good in combination with a thyroid condition.

best to ask first.