Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty? >

Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty?

Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Everyone has their own style and their own color preferences. Traditional, contemporary, etc. I'm making a quilt and my mother, who is visiting, thought that I should have chosen a much darker blue background fabric to go along with the white embroidery and white applique so that it would all "pop" better. However, that isn't the effect I want! I always gravitate towards subtle designs, subtle colors, and textures, and always prefer a more traditional look colorwise than contemporary bright-hued stuff. Earth tones, not jewel! And I think wholecloth quilts are some of the most incredibly gorgeous things on the planet.

Often I will look at other people's quilts and appreciate the work, and the craftsmanship, but think to myself "I'd NEVER go with those colors or patterns!!" Kind of how people decorate their houses differently, or different styles of painting- classical, surrealist, abstract...you can appreciate the beauty even though it's not your "style". Make sense? :mrgreen:

So what do you like?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Makes perfect sense. We all have our own style. Good that we're not all alike. How boring that would be! Welcome to the board.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM

I like the earth tones too, but admire those jewel tones! now and then I try something out of my little box, but always go back.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM

I like earth tones, and jewel tones when set with black,
Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 PM

Depends on who the quilt is for and what the pattern says to me. I bought a pattern for a southwest themed quilt and will be making it in the earth tones of my sil's house (and Arizona) but if I made it for myself, use the brighter more jewel tones. I am also making a civil war quilt in the proper fabrics and tones of that time where the bright jewels would not work.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 PM

I love the civil War fabrics, the 30s and the pastels when I see them in a quilt. I go shopping and always end up with deep, strong colors. It drives me nuts, I'm simply not capable of buying a pastel. This was one of the reasons I did a request for scraps a while back. Because they would be colors and designs that I didn't pick out and I would have to use an assortment beyond my limited taste.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:22 PM

I love to make things with bright colors, specially for kids. But I mostly think about who I am making the quilt for, how it will be used and the pattern. Some patterns I make just scream for me to use brights and others are a bit more subtle and want pastels or earth tones.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM

I'm eclectic - love them all.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 PM

I like soft colors and neutral tones for myself.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 PM

I like things most people might consider loud and obnoxious, but I think there is a place for everything and I don't limit myself to just one type.

I (as I think all of us do) try to match the quilt to the recipient even if it isn't my taste.