Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Man needs help with fabric... >

Man needs help with fabric...

Man needs help with fabric...

Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM

the copy center at Office Depot can print it for you, they can tell you what fabric to buy.

good luck!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dan rivers
This is a surprise for my wife. I want to print on cotton fabric, all her grandchildren and give them to her as a present. She has always wanted to do this, but she is apprehensive. I have learned about Bubble Jet and Ink Aid, but I want a good cotton white fabric to print on. Where should I go? Robert Kaufman? Moda? Who? Point this old boy in the right direction. I got a lady to make happy! Dan.
There ARE fabric sheets to use with ink jet printers. Be sure to get a good quality one. My personal experience is I used one called Printed Treasures, I believe it was $40.00 for 10 sheets at JoAnn's, but I had a 50% off coupon! I was 100% happy with it. A friend of mine used a lower quality (cheaper brand) that didnt print as nicely as mine did. She also ended up ruining some of the photos as she sprayed with water when she was pressing her seams. She read the label on package and now her quilt has to be dry cleaned :(. Be sure to read the packaging well. BTW... I didnt have to do anything with my photos using the "printed treasures" brand.

Good luck, Your a good man for doing this for your sweetheart!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 PM

I just iron on unbleached muslin a piece of freezer paper..cut it to 8 1/2 by 11 inches..scan my photo and run it through..I heat set it with an iron afterwards..always works for me !! All the quilt stores will help you..and when I want larger ones any of my local print shops will do it (Kinko's)
Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suebee
This is a surprise for my wife. I want to print on cotton fabric, all her grandchildren and give them to her as a present. She has always wanted to do this, but she is apprehensive. I have learned about Bubble Jet and Ink Aid, but I want a good cotton white fabric to print on. Where should I go? Robert Kaufman? Moda? Who? Point this old boy in the right direction. I got a lady to make happy! Dan.
There ARE fabric sheets to use with ink jet printers. Be sure to get a good quality one. My personal experience is I used one called Printed Treasures, I believe it was $40.00 for 10 sheets at JoAnn's, but I had a 50% off coupon! I was 100% happy with it. A friend of mine used a lower quality (cheaper brand) that didnt print as nicely as mine did. She also ended up ruining some of the photos as she sprayed with water when she was pressing her seams. She read the label on package and now her quilt has to be dry cleaned :(. Be sure to read the packaging well. BTW... I didnt have to do anything with my photos using the "printed treasures" brand.

Good luck, Your a good man for doing this for your sweetheart!
Great advise, and yes, please check to make sure it isn't the type that needs to be dry cleaned.

It is awesome you are doing this for your wife :D:D:D
Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by earlylace
That's is what I did, it worked great. Also another tip here from this board, use a fabric glue mixed with some water and "seal" the pictures with it, that way the pictures will never fade, I did that too. worked great!

Originally Posted by Sewfine
You can buy computer print fabric from any fabric store. I brought two packs, but have not used it yet. Be sure to read all the instructions before beginning.
Are you kidding me? You women RAWK! This is great!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM

What a lovely man you are to think of such a surprise.

http://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/info_1_N0369.html This is what I do for Labels and special blocks it is specially made to got through Ink Jet printers and you don't need anything else other than to follow the instructions, I am sure you will be able to find it online or any large fabric shop.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM

I love to use Printed Treasures. Make sure you get the washable one!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Kona fabric....at Joann's and the Printed Treasure 100 percent cotton by June Taylor sqs that go right thru your pinter...Just make sure you have fresh new ink cartridges in your machine. I then use either Lite Heat Bond also Joann's or Wonder Web (Joann's) iron on back of your photo fabric after you print your picture and then iron right onto your top fabric... I then do a decorative stitch around each photo...
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM

http://www.rostitchery.com/2006/09/makeyourown_clo.html

This talks a little about using your own fabric and treating it with Bubble JetSet to put it through an inkjet printer.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Another possible solution:

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

they print the images on the fabric for you!