Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 AM

As a parent of a child who had childhood cancer 4 times I wish to thank all who make quilts for donation. She has been clear for almost 20 years. Still has health problems but survived bone cancer in leg and 3 times to lung. What would noot have given back then for a homemade love quilt. I make as many donation pillowcases and quilts as I can. Thank you again. Judy
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM

I tell them that they can't afford my time, but that I will gladly teach them how to make one themselves. One taker so far....
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM

I quilt and make burial clothes for preemies. I have never had these rude remarks, but if I did, I would tell them "You have your baby to hug, this mother has nothing but this quilt." I also tell people I would be very happy to teach them how....no one has ever asked me...:)
Linda
Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 PM

What a women you are! It takes a special person to do this.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Actually no I haven't had any comments or situations arise such as you describe when I have said I make charity quilts.

Most people have told me I am very generous or say, how do you find the time I don't have enough to do that sort of thing... Another time I was sewing a charity quilt at my LQS and the group of ladies that were also there sewing that particular day asked me what I was doing and when I told them they offered to help me so we now meet on the last Monday of the month to sew quilts for charity together.

With comments such as those it is a clear indication of just how selfish or self centred our societies have or are becoming

Maybe1day
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM

I commend you for the kindness you show in making quilts for juvenile cancer patients. Those children must really appreciate your version of a "long distance hug." As far as those atavistic,
greedy tightwads who are too cheap to pay for a quilt that required purchased fabric & batting, time and effort, don't waste a moment of reflection on them. You know what it costs you to make a quilt and you have the right to set what you consider a fair price for your work. If they don't want to pay it, they can try Target or Pier One for one made in China....but even those are probably more than they are willing to pay.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Think the best I have ever heard was "Why give away something you have spent so much time on? Why don't you sell it and make more money". As if making money was everything...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
that is amazing that people would be so dense. I would just smile and say, let me know when your kid gets cancer, I will make one for them then.
that's exactly the right answer... bet they shut right up!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:26 PM

I quilt a design that inspires me to give the time and energy needed to complete it. To work to order would kill the spirit. To work for ingrates would bring my efforts to a halt. I try to inspire friends to get involved with quilting by taking them along on my visit to a quilt store where they can see for themselves wonderful ideas and fabrics. Thus far no one has taken the bait. I also have tried to involve them in knitting, but there are no takers.....really, it is discouraging to find such a lack of interest in personal creativity. No wonder they cannot appreciate the efforts that go into designing and making a quilt.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:29 PM

I'd have to write those people off my "friend" list and avoid them, cus, in the end my mouth would end up doing the same thing, only in a much more vocally nasty way sharet - I really think life is too short to put up w/ these types, even if they married/ were born into the family.