Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Good for you! I only make stuff for our church raffles. Five years ago when I got a new sewing machine one guy said since I have a new machine and no job I should have time to cut his shirts off and hem them. He bought them to long. One lady called me a week before her son's wedding and wanted me to sew 5 table runners for the tables since I like to sew table runners. I only sew what I want to sew. I just keep telling people no.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM

People at church give old jeans for jean quilts. I make 3 a year for the church and one for the fire dept raffle. I have been asked to do them for benefits. I don't want to go there because that would be all I would get done and I wouldn't enjoy sewing them anymore. I like to do different things when I sew.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 AM

I have made a few charity quilts and I have stopped telling people about it because of some of the negative reaction I got. Just like some of the QB member here. Why the put-downs? It's not their time, nor their money, nor their stash of fabrics. Really upset me, so I stopped talking about it. I continue to do my little contribution back to community but mum is the word. If I can make a positive ripple than it should cause good things to happen out there to folks in need.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Don't tell the people you get fabric given to you it's between you and the giver. Then on the other hand your time is worth something. I had a friend do that to me and I told her I would show her how to make a quilt now she knows how long it takes to do one and whats involved.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM

I make a lot of charity quilts and I belong to a group that makes them. I tell EVERYONE that will listen about what I do and what our group does in hope that I'll get another person interested. If they don't sew, they can donate and I tell them so. So far, no one has had a negative comment.....most are very impressed and want to help....:) I think a lot of people want to help other's but don't always trust "organizations". If they have a face they can connect with, they are more apt to feel comfortable about helping.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bueniebabe
years ago when I got a new sewing machine one guy said since I have a new machine and no job I should have time to cut his shirts off and hem them.
I can relate to this, my dh bought me a super duper sewing machine, a Viking DSE, one year without me telling him I wanted it. I had just mentioned I wanted a better one then what I had. ..so anyway I was bragging about it to my co-workers.

This one lady decided I could re upholster her couch and she'd buy the fabric. I just laughed it off like she was joking and said, "No, I don't do couches. You can take an upholstery class at xxx fabric store" She really did get angry with me that I wouldn't do my Christian duty and help her. I just laughed it off like she was joking and went on my way. It just suprised me she could make the jump between quilitng and upholstering...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM

When I explain that my quilts are for charity I often am given fabric and thread and told to keep up with good work.

Once in awhile I will sell one-but that money is put aside to purchase batting and thread.

Money cannot buy the satisfaction of knowing that a child undergoing chemo, or is in custody becasue of abuse is wrapped in a colorful quilt!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 AM

I agree !!! My sons give me all their pop cans to put towards my batting and thread. We all 3 save change to use for postage they are 27 & 33 years old. They both suffer from C.F. and one has to have liver transplant ant the other has diverticulitis so It's important for us to do for others!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 AM

OMG! i've never known anyone who would treat me like that.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM

I Long arm the charity quilts for a couple of groups for my guilds, they keep me pretty busy but I know they are going to the people who need them and love them one of the troops groups actually buys the thread for me - since they are distributed locally by my guilds we know they get to the correct people.... I can not imagine these getting taken by someone who doesn't need it that is insane! And why do people think they are entitled wow - our time isn't free and neither is other supplies needed just because we get donated fabric .... Several of our groups wont work with some of the national org because they hang them in the facilities instead of giving them to the people who need them. :-(