Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM

I agree with you Rebecca to a certain extent. If in a group, I don't say much, just that it is for charity. If speaking to one or two I use it as a tool to do the Home Missionary duties assigned to me by church.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Just ignore them and go on about your quilt business. A smart answer to a negative comment could go a long way to you not selling your goods.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
I have never had this happen, and I have made charity quilts in the past. Right now I'm looking for a local charity, perhaps a hospice to see if they would welcome my quilts for sick children battling cancer or for those people in nursing homes. When I belonged to a quilt guild we made quilts for David's House in Lebanon, NH, which was similar to a Ronald McDonald House. The guild was even asked to make bed quilts when a new house was built on the hospital grounds. Unfortunately, at times fabric given for those quilts went home with members and no quilts were made, they used it for themselves. When people found out what I did they asked if I would like fabric, and I said yes, keeping that fabric separate from my own stash. Seeing pictures of the children with one of my quilts really made my heart sing, there's nothing like it. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who cannot fathom why we would make a quilt to give away to someone we don't even know. Their loss.
Take a look at Quilts for Kids! These quilts are all donated to hospitals where kids are battling life threatening diseases. It's a nationwide organization: www.quiltsforkids.com. They'll even send you all the fabric cut out for a quilts along with a pattern --just add thread, batting and your time. Our quilt guild just completed 30 quilts for them and I'll be delivering them over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure there is a location in your state where you can get involved.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 AM

I'm proud to tell people I make quilts for charity. It's something that makes me feel good and I could care less what someone else might think.

If someone outside my immediate family asks me to make a quilt, I just say no. Plain and simple. I make the decisions on what quilts I make and who for. I don't feel at all pressured by these requests and I don't feel bad for saying no.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I do not mention too often that I make charity quilts but then I do not get out that much. LOL I have had relatives telling me to make quilts. when I say telling I am not kidding. Talking about rude.

Originally Posted by applique
Worse is giving a quilt to charity and a year later seeing it hanging in the house of a relative of the organizer! So discouraging.
That is just plain old bad but I have had this experience, organizers taking stuff for themself or family, multiple times with donated items. :thumbdown:
Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Quilting is my sanity. I have a lot of stress in my life and I quilt because it is relaxing. I am not going to bring the stress of making a quilt for someone else into my escape from stress. If I want to make a quilt for someone as a gift I will do that. I don't tell them about it until I give it to them. I don't want them bugging me "Is it finished yet?" I work full time so I only get a few quilts a year done. I have made QOVs and Quilts for Kids. I really like doing this.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 AM

[quote=Annaquilts]
Originally Posted by applique
Worse is giving a quilt to charity and a year later seeing it hanging in the house of a relative of the organizer! So discouraging.
-------------------
That's the time to dig out a camera, LOUDLY saying that you want a picture of her and "her winning quilt" to put in the newspaper.
And please let the public know how much that quilt brought in for that CHARITY?
And would she consider "donating it BACK to the charity" to be "raffled again"? And make sure she realizes that you are prepared to add some nice comment to the "article" that might go in the charity's newsletter.
That is guaranteed to stop THAT quilt from being seen again in public!!
I guess I'm mean, I will give to those I believe need it, but having things stolen makes me crazy.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MargeD
Unfortunately, at times fabric given for those quilts went home with members and no quilts were made, they used it for themselves.
I have seen this too and had this happen. An other quilter had donated left over blocks for a group of us to make quilts for fire victims. In it were 4 patriotic colored blocks that would make a nice baby quilt if some fabric for sashing, border and backing was added. I bought all of the supplies at LQS to complete a 50x50 quilt. The woman who took it all did not complete the quilt and would not return my phone calls. Fortunately several other quilts did get made with the help of some other wonderful people.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
that is amazing that people would be so dense. I would just smile and say, let me know when your kid gets cancer, I will make one for them then.
guess it takes all kinds. I'd never think to beg a quilt from anyone, no matter what they did with them.

I'll take that back---------HappyNana is sending me her ugly jellyroll.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 AM

People were winning them as prizes, getting 2 to 3 of them at a time to take home. Thank goodness I wasn't there. They probably would have had to call the cops on me for threatening her life! Needless to say we never had another thing to do with that shelter. Which was a shame, as the women and kids could really have used something useful and pretty. Virg[/quote]
------------------------------
I think it would be time to start trying to get rid of the director of that place. In our own town we did, closed down the Woman's Place we had..I'm not going into details here..my woman's club, Beta Sigma Phi donated a lot of not low quality clothing because we knew they had left their homes with nothing, and my cop brother and son told me that often the husbands/boy friends ruined everything they left. So they needed everything starting out in a new life.