Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Not everyone thinks the way we do about charity. They probably were not raised the way you were! I quilt and give to organizations like QFK because I love it! It makes my heart happy just knowing I'm bring a smile to a little child that needs it. That's all that matters!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Yeah, I know what you mean. I try to keep things like that to myself. It's kinda like religion...I'd never EVER want to get into a discussion with someone about why I believe the way I do. It's between my heart and the receiver of my love.
Beautifully explained! I feel the same.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 AM

I've been lucky I guess. People just say how nice you make you quilts for charity. I enjoy doing it.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Are you spending time concerned about other peoples thoughts and comments. Sounds to me that everyone feels special when given something you put together.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 AM

I completely understand your feelings. I have not made many charity quilts, but I do volunteer with a local rescue squad and have had patients say to me..."well you get paid for this"...to which I point to the patch on my shirt and say....see this word...it is Volunteer...they don't pay me anything to do this...I do it because I care for people. Sometimes people just don't think....they want what is in it for them...they will ask why I do it....like I am stupid or something...but I am PROUD to be an EMT and volunteer my time and energy. The patients and families that do appreciate it make it all worthwhile. I guess if I didn't feel this way, I would not have spent the majority of my life doing this. I hope to do some more charity quilts in the future...Keep up the good work!! We need more people in this world that do things for each other out of the goodness of their heart!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Annie68
Hmmm, I've never had any strange comments when I tell people I quilt for charity. They just say what a nice thing to do.
Yep, me too..I have never had anything like that happen. But if I did, I bet I would go the "sure, go pick your fabric etc...it will go on my to-do stack, should be able to start in a couple months...my price is $_____, but that will go to my charity..."
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM

I also do charity and donate quilts. I keep fabric seperate too!!! I only use mine for my own personal donations.But I do purchase all batting and thread for charity and donation quilts
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 AM

People who don't quilt have no idea of the time or money invested in quilts. Even quilters loose sight of it. Our quilt guild decided to do quilts for a local home for physlcally and mentally challenged patients that didn't have family to do for them. The first year we did 80 or so quilts, the next year we saw names on the list that we knew had involved families. That was the year one of our members did a wonderful quilt for her son who goes there during the daytime. That was her donation. The next year I refused to donate since the previous year I spent more on those donation quilts than I spent on my own children and grandchildren. I got the looks from other members, but secretly many of them told me they felt the same way and didn't have the courage to say it out loud. Now I set a limit to my charity quilting. No more than x# per year and I decide what charities I'm interested in helping.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I've started not to mention why I'm making my quilts (and in the past rag dolls) because people will say, "Oh, I'll take it."

When I try to explain that I'm making it for children who are sick I've gotten "Oh, my daughter is sick, I'll take one for her." Her daughter had the sniffles, not even a full blown cold. She was offended when I told her that my qults go to children battling cancer and that a cold wasn't the same.

I've also had people get angry with me when I wouldn't just give them a quilt since I make so many to give away or I wouldn't make a quilt for them for free because I have so much fabric given to me. When I mention how much I'd charge them they go through the roof, "It didn't cost you anything, why would you charge me?" Because I have to go and replace what I used to make you a quilt.

I find it absolutely amazing that so many people don't understand that when fabric is given to me because I make quilts for charity, I personally feel an obilgation to use that fabric to make quilts for charity. At least that is how I treat all donations to me.

I keep my personal stash separate from my charity stash.

Have you had any strange comments?
what a wonderful thing we quilters can do with one small quilt that a child can HOLD on to when they have or are suffering with some deadly illeness. God bless each of you. my heart /soul feels God smile with each charity quilt I stich. :D
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Well, you could just say, "Oh I'm sorry but this quilt has been promised to a child who has cancer" (or whatever disease.) If you like I could teach you how to quilt so that you could make your own for your daughter and then you too could make a quilt for a sick child.

Putting the "quilting" (ball) back in their court so that they can feel they have some worth. Many people don't know the amount of time and material that it takes to make a quilt. By letting them see the work involved they might think twice before just asking you to make them one. Just a thought.