Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
please double check my quilt math >

please double check my quilt math

please double check my quilt math

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM

I am working on a twin scrappy quilt. This is the first quilt that I am working on that didn't come from a set pattern. I'm just making it up as I go. I could use some help on the math to make sure I end up with a twin quilt. Some how all of my twin quilts end up way too small (I just tell every body that it is a lap quilt. I'm the only one who knows that it didn't turn out right).

Ok... here we go.... (finished, unfinished translates into seam allowance)

Twin batting size – 72 x 90

Blocks, unfinished – 7 in
Blocks, finished – 6.5 in
Sash, unfinished – 2.5 in
Sash, finished – 2 in

Boarder, white, finished – 2 in
Boarder, scrappy, finished – 2 in
Boarder, white, finished – 2 in
Total boarder – 6 in on each side

7 blocks + 6 sash = 57.5
9 blocks + 8 sash = 74.5

Finished quilt size – 69 x 86

Total blocks needed = 63

What to you think? Where the math quilt gods kind to me, or do I need to rethink some things?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM

finished size, including binding: 70" x 87"

the finished border is 6", but remember that the binding is approximately another 1/4" on each side, not counting your "finished" measurements. So you need to add 1/2" to each measurement to get the final size.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Cyn

I was lost when you said Math- I just let things happen but I am sure there are people on this board who will help. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM

The only thing you didn't consider is the quilting. Depending on how heavy the quilting is, your quilt will shrink some.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts

the finished border is 6", but remember that the binding is approximately another 1/4" on each side, not counting your "finished" measurements. So you need to add 1/2" to each measurement to get the final size.
That depends on how you do your binding. Mine don't add to the dimensions.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM
lgc

From my figures 69 1/2" X 86 1/2" your close enough in your figures. The one thing I would mention is maybe getting a larger size batting to allow for quilting ease.
Good luck and show us pictures!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks! I'd forgotten about allowing for quilting ease and thanks for the heads up about the binding. Hmmmm.....

I might make my boarders a bit wider to give some breathing room. I think I will piece the rest of the top and put it on the bed to see how much of a boarder I need. I like the idea of using a larger batting. I was thinking of a larger drop on this quilt. The larger batting would keep my options open.

Now that I have a handle on the math I need to practice my 1/4 in seams.... I keep reminding myself, progress not perfection.
thanks for all the help!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee

Out of curiosity, how do you do your binding? Say I want my final border to be 6". I cut it 6 1/2" - 1/4" gets in the seam allowance with the quilt center and 1/4" gets in the binding, leaving 6" for the border. So my quilt is the center + 12" (6" for each border) + 1/2" (1/4" for each binding side).
Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM

I understand you now. I thought you were saying that your binding adds significantly to the overall dimensions of the quilt. Some people do it that way. I actually add 1/2 to 3/8 for my binding dimension, because I usually do it by machine.

Originally Posted by Mattee

Out of curiosity, how do you do your binding? Say I want my final border to be 6". I cut it 6 1/2" - 1/4" gets in the seam allowance with the quilt center and 1/4" gets in the binding, leaving 6" for the border. So my quilt is the center + 12" (6" for each border) + 1/2" (1/4" for each binding side).